+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question for intelligent minds

ronaldo7

Sep 20, 2015
Hi Everyone,

I got married traditionally last December and I didn't register the marriage in India. I landed in Canada and didn't declare my marriage. Legally I am not married in India till now as there have been no court registration for the marriage. I know that I have made a mistake. I want to bring my wife to Canada. I can go back to India and get married again and get it registered. But I have heard that we need to supply pictures of the marriage as well the honeymoon tickets and other documents to prove the marriage. For my background, I know my wife since collage. We have a lot of conversations and mails before I came to Canada. Do I still need to supply the marriage pictures and stuff?

I know I am asking for much here. Can anyone guide me as what are my best options.

In a summary this is my situation:

1. Yes, I am in Canada Currently. I Landed last month.
2. I didn't declare my marriage while the processing and after landing.
3. I have not registered my marriage in any courts around the world so no background check would come across.

Romania85

Star Member
Jun 5, 2016
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 4th, 2016
AOR Received.
July 22nd, 2016
File Transfer...
August 18th, 2016
Med's Request
June 15th, 2016
Passport Req..
November 9th, 2016
It's a good thing that you didn't declare your marriage in India, because had you done so, you wouldn't have been able to ever sponsor your partner since you didn't include her in your PR application. I think that the next best option would be to get married again, register your marriage and then apply for spousal sponsorship.

2calgary

Jan 21, 2013
Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Romania85 said:
It's a good thing that you didn't declare your marriage in India, because had you done so, you wouldn't have been able to ever sponsor your partner since you didn't include her in your PR application. I think that the next best option would be to get married again, register your marriage and then apply for spousal sponsorship.
agreed.............if there are no dates on the pictures you can use them too, just write name of persons showing in pictures.

go back and register your marriage and then sponsor her

use all conversation data and photos as your supporting material regarding before marriage outings, datings, meetings etc etc

after marriage registration do a visit to some place as Honeymoon ................

Sous02

Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-16
Doc's Request.
22-08-2016
AOR Received.
06-05-16
File Transfer...
28-05-16
Med's Done....
Up front/passed
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-2016
LANDED..........
02-11-2016
You are walking a very thin line here and need to be very careful or you could lose everything including your own pr.

ronaldo7

Sep 20, 2015
Sous02 said:
You are walking a very thin line here and need to be very careful or you could lose everything including your own pr.
I know it's a mind bomber, but thinking it's not that big of a deal. Since the marrige is not registered anywhere in the world. I cannot declare myself as a married guy. Even if the Canadian authorities find out that i was married by the traditional way, there is no way to prove it, as my documentation and statement states otherwise. And I am pretty sure the canadian authorities dont believe in the hindu act. The marriage has to be registered, which I will do when I go back this time. Using the old pictures is a thing which I am concerned about.

Sous02

Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-16
Doc's Request.
22-08-2016
AOR Received.
06-05-16
File Transfer...
28-05-16
Med's Done....
Up front/passed
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-2016
LANDED..........
02-11-2016
ronaldo7 said:
I know it's a mind bomber, but thinking it's not that big of a deal. Since the marrige is not registered anywhere in the world. I cannot declare myself as a married guy. Even if the Canadian authorities find out that i was married by the traditional way, there is no way to prove it, as my documentation and statement states otherwise. And I am pretty sure the canadian authorities dont believe in the hindu act. The marriage has to be registered, which I will do when I go back this time. Using the old pictures is a thing which I am concerned about.
No matter which way you put it, it is a change in relationship. I am just cautioning you that this could be a problem.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ronaldo7 said:
Using the old pictures is a thing which I am concerned about.
CIC will be expecting pictures of the wedding and celebration as a key part of the proof of a genuine marriage. Not sure approval will be possible without them.

ronaldo7

Sep 20, 2015
scylla said:
CIC will be expecting pictures of the wedding and celebration as a key part of the proof of a genuine marriage. Not sure approval will be possible without them.
This is a good point, which means court marriages are not accepted in CIC?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
ronaldo7 said:
This is a good point, which means court marriages are not accepted in CIC?
of course they are accepted. people can have pictures from court marriages. there are many people here who do not have big elaborate weddings and have courthouse weddings. assuming it does not contradict the couple's cultural norms, and the couple has supplied adequate proof of their relationship, small courthouse marriages are accepted by cic.

ronaldo7

Sep 20, 2015
CDNPR2014 said:
of course they are accepted. people can have pictures from court marriages. there are many people here who do not have big elaborate weddings and have courthouse weddings. assuming it does not contradict the couple's cultural norms, and the couple has supplied adequate proof of their relationship, small courthouse marriages are accepted by cic.
Thats my man. I have proof of 7 years of relation with my alleged ;D wife including mails, facebook conversations and phone records. I can provide courthouse pictures when I remarry her. Do you think it will be enough?

ronaldo7

Sep 20, 2015
Sous02 said:
No matter which way you put it, it is a change in relationship. I am just cautioning you that this could be a problem.
Dude, isnt everything with CIC a problem ;D?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
ronaldo7 said:
Thats my man. I have proof of 7 years of relation with my alleged ;D wife including mails, facebook conversations and phone records. I can provide courthouse pictures when I remarry her. Do you think it will be enough?
that will be up to the cic officer handling your application. it is impossible for anyone here to say what is considered enough. submit a strong application with a good amount of proof. when an application makes sense and it's reasonable to assume the relationship is legit, there is usually little issue with approval.

ronaldo7

Sep 20, 2015
CDNPR2014 said:
that will be up to the cic officer handling your application. it is impossible for anyone here to say what is considered enough. submit a strong application with a good amount of proof. when an application makes sense and it's reasonable to assume the relationship is legit, there is usually little issue with approval.
This makes a lot of sense to me. I think CIC does look for a relationship before granting permanent residence. Because of arranged marriages in India, they are moved to look for wedding celebrations and other stuff. I will get remarried traditionally again and get some pictures to make sure everything goes well. Thanks a lot for your help everyone.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
ronaldo7 said:
... I think CIC does look for a relationship before granting permanent residence. ...
They absolutely do in the Family Sponsorship class. That is the core motive for sponsorship..

ronaldo7

Sep 20, 2015
profiler said:
They absolutely do in the Family Sponsorship class. That is the core motive for sponsorship..
Sorry for the confusion there buddy. I meant relationship before marriage here. In India the bride and the groom don't have a relation before the marriage which creates a lot of confusion for western countries(No offenses here).

This is just my opinion but I think they need to make sure that the marriage is not a mechanism for people to get easy permanent residences. If you can prove that you knew the girl/boy before the marriage itself and loved each other. Then marriage is just a piece of document for them.