+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question for CEC work experience count

winbxy

Oct 4, 2012
Hi Everyone, I have a question regarding the counting of work experiences. I have a convocation in June but received PGWP in August, however i am working full time since i graduate by holding off-campus work permit, does this two-month period count as the CEC work experiences?
Millions Thanks...

rus66958

Star Member
Sep 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
06-12-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
29-10-2013
Med's Done....
04-11-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
14-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2013
LANDED..........
11-12-2013
i think if you put an explanation letter.. it might work... i have read some blog post where they had similar situation like you and they mentioned it did work.. also i read one where it did not work....

winbxy

Oct 4, 2012
Sid87 said:
The experience should be on PSWP .

This is mentioned in CEC Guide line.
the following statement is found on CIC website, however it did not indicate it should be under PGWP but rather "after graduation"

Note: Work experience gained during your studies does not count toward meeting the requirements for work experience. Only work experience gained after graduation can be counted.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
This question is asked about 20 times a week :) CIC's instructions are contradictory, it sure would be nice if they would clarify -

Most of us agree that all authorized, post-graduation experience SHOULD count, but to play it safe (if you can), give yourself some extra time and assume that the experience has to be be on the PGWP.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Here's what the guide says:

"Experience: Work experience as a Graduate

You must have obtained the equivalent of 12 months of full-time or full-time equivalent (37.5 hours a week) Canadian skilled work experience at NOC Skill Type 0, or Skill Levels A or B. This work experience must have been acquired in Canada (within the 24 months preceding the date the application is made*).

You do not have to be in employed at the time of the application.

Note: The experience must be acquired after you have completed the required study and obtained a Canadian credential (work performed under the Off-Campus Work Permit Program or co-op work terms do not count)."

Note the part in red - my guess is they didn't find it necessary to clarify/specify because ALL work performed under the off-campus work permit does not count anyways(for CEC). So begin counting your work experience AFTER graduation and from when you receive the post graduate work permit(PGWP). A number of people here have been rejected for this reason - search this section for examples.

winbxy said:
Hi Everyone, I have a question regarding the counting of work experiences. I have a convocation in June but received PGWP in August, however i am working full time since i graduate by holding off-campus work permit, does this two-month period count as the CEC work experiences?
Millions Thanks...

winbxy

Oct 4, 2012
SenoritaBella said:
Here's what the guide says:

"Experience: Work experience as a Graduate

You must have obtained the equivalent of 12 months of full-time or full-time equivalent (37.5 hours a week) Canadian skilled work experience at NOC Skill Type 0, or Skill Levels A or B. This work experience must have been acquired in Canada (within the 24 months preceding the date the application is made*).

You do not have to be in employed at the time of the application.

Note: The experience must be acquired after you have completed the required study and obtained a Canadian credential (work performed under the Off-Campus Work Permit Program or co-op work terms do not count)."

Note the part in red - my guess is they didn't find it necessary to clarify/specify because ALL work performed under the off-campus work permit does not count anyways(for CEC). So begin counting your work experience AFTER graduation and from when you receive the post graduate work permit(PGWP). A number of people here have been rejected for this reason - search this section for examples.
Actually it does not matter for me to wait for extra time to apply for CEC, since it is a two-month period. But one of my friend graduate in June 2011 and holding off-campus work permit to work full time after he graduated. But he received his PGWP in November, it is a five-month period working experience which i think, it is significant, so i wonder if this five-month full time working experience count.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
The guide is clear about work experience under the off-campus work permit(does not count) but if your friend is willing to take a chance to see what happens, that's up to him.

winbxy said:
Actually it does not matter for me to wait for extra time to apply for CEC, since it is a two-month period. But one of my friend graduate in June 2011 and holding off-campus work permit to work full time after he graduated. But he received his PGWP in November, it is a five-month period working experience which i think, it is significant, so i wonder if this five-month full time working experience count.

hamad0313

Star Member
Jul 24, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-07-2012
AOR Received.
17-08-2012
Med's Request
20-08-2013
Med's Done....
30-09-2013
Passport Req..
04-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2014
LANDED..........
19-03-2014
Hi! that's an interesting question, but I think the website clearly says what are the requiremnts for acceptable work experience; i.e;
You do not meet the minimum work experience requirement if:

•you gained your work experience without the proper authorization (for example, as an undocumented worker) working on off campus work permit after graduation is allowed and acceptable by cic and cannot be classified as undocumented work

your work experience in Canada is not classified as 0, A or B under the NOC list

•you do not have at least one year of work experience as a graduate of a post-secondary educational institution. so check your graduation date (or the date when degree was awarded) which is usually mentioned on final transcipt, from that date onwards I guess your work experience will be counted as experience gained as a graduate regardless of the date of the PG Work Permit

winbxy said:
Millions Thanks...

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Not if this case here is anything to go by: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/application-refused-t115836.0.html

The take home message is only work experience gained under the PGWP counts and you must have graduated and received a canadian education credential.

hamad0313 said:
•you do not have at least one year of work experience as a graduate of a post-secondary educational institution. so check your graduation date (or the date when degree was awarded) which is usually mentioned on final transcipt, from that date onwards I guess your work experience will be counted as experience gained as a graduate regardless of the date of the PG Work Permit

hamad0313

Star Member
Jul 24, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-07-2012
AOR Received.
17-08-2012
Med's Request
20-08-2013
Med's Done....
30-09-2013
Passport Req..
04-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2014
LANDED..........
19-03-2014
SenoritaBella said:
Not if this case here is anything to go by: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/application-refused-t115836.0.html

The take home message is only work experience gained under the PGWP counts and you must have graduated and received a canadian education credential.
continue reading later he mentioned that his degree was awarded sometime in june......so count from the date you graduated i.e your degree was awarded and not the date you passed out or got PGWP,