+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[QUESTION] CIT0002 - Passports

Micbm

Star Member
Jul 14, 2015
Hi there,

During my eligibility period I had two passports, but I received my second one before my first one expired.

On question 14 it asks the expiry date of the passports, should I add the expiry date that comes on the passport #1 or should I put the date my passport #2 was issued, since my passport #1 was cancelled once the #2 was issued.

Thank you
Micbm

Nour Sabbagh

Feb 6, 2018
I am on the problem and I do not know how to put this but I think we should put the exact days in the passports and write an explanation in the gap section and check yes does this make sense??

Chai_to_Double-double

Nov 22, 2017
Hi there,

During my eligibility period I had two passports, but I received my second one before my first one expired.

On question 14 it asks the expiry date of the passports, should I add the expiry date that comes on the passport #1 or should I put the date my passport #2 was issued, since my passport #1 was cancelled once the #2 was issued.

Thank you
Micbm
Not an expert but the way I did was that put the exact dates these were on the passports - for issue and expiry.

Whatever you write on the forms should be crystal clear for them - they should have common sense that the 2nd one was issued before 1st one expired. they also know that its common to cancel the 1st one if an individual is issued a second one

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
I am on the problem and I do not know how to put this but I think we should put the exact days in the passports and write an explanation in the gap section and check yes does this make sense??
No the OP has a different issue: his two passports have an overlap, not a gap. Technically the old one expires on the same day as the new one was issued, as that was the day it was cancelled. But if s/he puts down that day as the expiry day, it would be different from the expiry day on the old passport.

OP, is there any stamps/text on your old passport that states something like "this passport #XXXXXXX is cancelled and replaced by new passport #XXXXXX"?

Micbm

Star Member
Jul 14, 2015
No the OP has a different issue: his two passports have an overlap, not a gap. Technically the old one expires on the same day as the new one was issued, as that was the day it was cancelled. But if s/he puts down that day as the expiry day, it would be different from the expiry day on the old passport.

OP, is there any stamps/text on your old passport that states something like "this passport #XXXXXXX is cancelled and replaced by new passport #XXXXXX"?
There is a stamp on my passport #1 saying "CANCELLED" but no specific date.

I think the "safe" way is to do the overlap... but not fully convinced yet.

Anyone else had the same issue?

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
There is a stamp on my passport #1 saying "CANCELLED" but no specific date.

I think the "safe" way is to do the overlap... but not fully convinced yet.

Anyone else had the same issue?
OK then I agree it's safer just to write down whatever issue/expiry dates on the passports.

Nour Sabbagh

Feb 6, 2018
I know it’s an overlap I am also in the same situation but shall ignore the gap section and just forget about it and don’t put any overlap explanation in the gap section? Also I have a cancellation stamp but there is no date though

EIN_3

Dec 5, 2013
Hi there,

Thank you
Micbm
Hello,
Could you mind advise what was done for this? I have similar situation and would like to be advised on how to proceed with the application?
Also, Did you attach and explanation letter or cover letter for the overlap in the passport dates? If so, can you share the template/sample letter?
Hope your application is in process or attained citizenship status already.

homecanada

Star Member
Jun 1, 2013
Overlaps are fine.. this is actually one of the requirement when you submit your Citizenship application where you need to provide an explaination if there is any gap. Just put the expiry date as mentioned on the passport..

EIN_3

Dec 5, 2013
So, do you suggest to just mention dates in the application? or provide an explanation letter regarding the overlaps?
Sorry for asking again, just wanted to be more clear.
Thanks for clarifying on the expiry date question.

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
So, do you suggest to just mention dates in the application? or provide an explanation letter regarding the overlaps?
Sorry for asking again, just wanted to be more clear.
Thanks for clarifying on the expiry date question.

Hi,
just mention dates without any explanation.

Micbm

Star Member
Jul 14, 2015
Hello,
Could you mind advise what was done for this? I have similar situation and would like to be advised on how to proceed with the application?
Also, Did you attach and explanation letter or cover letter for the overlap in the passport dates? If so, can you share the template/sample letter?
Hope your application is in process or attained citizenship status already.
No need to further explanation.
Put the exact dates as shown on your passport and you should be fine. I gotta say I was overthinking when I posted this.

tammy_z

Star Member
Sep 4, 2020
I have the same issue where passport 2 was issued before the expiry of Passport 2. I will use the dates as printed on the passports and provide an explanation in the explanation section.
I am not sure how to explain it though, any suggestions?

RJ2020

Oct 29, 2020
I have the same issue where passport 2 was issued before the expiry of Passport 2. I will use the dates as printed on the passports and provide an explanation in the explanation section.
I am not sure how to explain it though, any suggestions?
You don’t need an explanation. A passport can be renewed before it’s expired. Actually, preferably, you need to renew you passport before it expires to avoid any gaps. If you have a gap between your passports, you should write a brief explanation. So, honestly, that’s the gap which might raise a question! Not the overlapping dates of passports!

So, you don’t need an explanation, because your passports cover the whole five-year eligibility period. That’s it. So, in your case, you’re totally fine. Make sure you copy the page on which they can find the “cancelled” stamp to avoid any misunderstandings. You should also write the exact expiry dates written on your passports.