+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question: applying/extending open work permit as part of common-law in Canada sponsorship app for PR

bbarker

Feb 2, 2019
I am sponsoring my American common law partner for PR (in Canada version) and also submitting an open work permit application. He is here currently on an open work permit/working holiday visa through the IEC program. My question pertains to IMM556, the work permit check list, under required documents it says "if you are a participant in the IEC program, provide proof of health insurance covering the intended extensions of your length of stay in Canada."

Does this apply to us? Technically he's no longer part of the IEC program after his work permit expires right? And if he's planning on staying here permanently, how long would you decide to get health insurance for? He has MSP (BC health care) and extended health benefits through my employer and it is exorbitant to buy travel health insurance from the US generally, but particularly in Canadian dollars right now. I know the issue previously when I asked was repatriating his remains in case of death but the deductible is $200k USD so he would be staying here anyways lol...

Thanks for the help in advance!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am sponsoring my American common law partner for PR (in Canada version) and also submitting an open work permit application. He is here currently on an open work permit/working holiday visa through the IEC program. My question pertains to IMM556, the work permit check list, under required documents it says "if you are a participant in the IEC program, provide proof of health insurance covering the intended extensions of your length of stay in Canada."

Does this apply to us? Technically he's no longer part of the IEC program after his work permit expires right? And if he's planning on staying here permanently, how long would you decide to get health insurance for? He has MSP (BC health care) and extended health benefits through my employer and it is exorbitant to buy travel health insurance from the US generally, but particularly in Canadian dollars right now. I know the issue previously when I asked was repatriating his remains in case of death but the deductible is $200k USD so he would be staying here anyways lol...

Thanks for the help in advance!!
No, it doesn't apply to him.

When does his IEC permit expire?

bbarker

Feb 2, 2019
Thank you!! I didn't think so. End of this month :-/ I'm couriering everything on Tuesday - he needs to go to the border on his day off and get his crossing history because the work permit app wants the first time he crossed into Canada.. which he thinks was grade 8.