+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question across topics

TCK

Aug 13, 2014
Hi, seeking advice on both visitor and working options so that I can make plans for the Autumn.

Firstly, as a British citizen am I correct in thinking I don't need any type of visa to visit for 6 + months? Secondly, am I permitted to undertake consultancy work for my UK clients while I'm visiting Canada (which might involve leaving and re-entering), and, can I take on work for Canadian clients if any should arise? Thirdly, if working with Canadian clients means I need to apply for a work permit, can I do this from within Canada?

My consultancy arrangements are all UK based.

Grateful for any thoughts / advice.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As a Brit, you can typically enter Canada for six months as a visitor (how long you are actually allowed into Canada for is up to the immigration officer you encounter at the border). Make sure you don't look like you're moving to Canada when you arrive as a tourist. That can result in being sent home or only granted a very short visit.

You can undertake consultancy work for clients while in Canada provided none of your clients are Canadian. If you want to work for Canadian clients, you will need a work permit. Note that to qualify for a work permit, you will need to be employed full time by the Canadian client. In order to apply for the work permit, the employer will first need to obtain an LMIA (approval to hire you). As part of this process they will have to first advertise the job for a minimum of one full month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. They will then have to pay a $1K processing fee and submit the application. Processing times for LMIA applications can be anywhere from 6-20 weeks. Once the LMIA is approved, you can then apply for a work permit.

TCK

Aug 13, 2014
Many thanks for that quick response - I've read a lot of material across the various Govt. sites over the last few months but this has immediately been very useful.

To follow up if I may: is there any restriction on when I can return to Canada when my initial visit is over? And on the last point - is it possible to apply for the work permit from within Canada, or would I need to return to the UK to do that? I can't seem to find a consistent line on the subject.

Many thanks again.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - you can apply for a work permit from within Canada.

No - technically there is no restriction on how soon you can return to Canada after leaving. But keep in mind that you are only allowed to enter Canada as a tourist. If you start behaving as a resident (i.e. spending more time in Canada than outside of Canada), it's possible you may be refused entry. Again, if you're allowed into the country and for how long is entirely up to the immigration officer you encounter when you arrive.

TCK

Aug 13, 2014
That's great - much appreciated. I should clarify that my visit/s are to my fiancé who is working there temporarily for another year or so. We've no current plan to relocate permanently, but if a job offer comes along while I'm visiting I'd like to be in a position to take it and start the proper processes.

Very helpful advice indeed.
All the best.

TCK

Aug 13, 2014
Hi again - many thanks for previous advice, but the CIC website has confused things.

A specific FAQ asks, 'Can I apply for a work permit from inside Canada?' and the answer really isn't as clear as the advice given previously. I'm arriving in ten days and have already been invited to meet to discuss possible future roles - I need to know what I'm able to commit to and the practicalities of doing so.

Any more info would be greatly appreciated. See previous for context.

Many thanks.
TCK.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
TCK said:
A specific FAQ asks, 'Can I apply for a work permit from inside Canada?' and the answer really isn't as clear as the advice given previously. I'm arriving in ten days and have already been invited to meet to discuss possible future roles - I need to know what I'm able to commit to and the practicalities of doing so.
Yes you can apply for a work permit while you're in Canada as a visitor. The application itself could be processed inside Canada, or it could be processed at a visa office outside Canada (London). But either way YOU can stay in Canada. If a work permit is eventually approved from the London visa office, you would then just need to go to the nearest USA land border to re-enter Canada and activate it.

Note what was mentioned above, you need to make it clear to any company you're interviewing with that you have no legal work status in Canada, and the company will need to go through the LMIA process to get you a closed work permit. As this involves several months time, effort, and cost (I think around $1000) with no guarantee of approval, some companies are not willing to do it.

If by chance you and your fiancee have lived together for 1 full year in the past, then you would officially be common-law and you could apply for a full Open Work Permit as the common-law spouse of a foreign worker in Canada.