+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

question about work permit transfer to study permit

Mollysan

Oct 17, 2018
My PGWP just expired last week, and today I received a letter of acceptance from a college and want to apply for a study permit.

1. In this situation, I shouldn't be able to apply directly for study permit restoration, right?
  2. So, do I need to apply for the restoration of the work permit first and apply for a study permit at the same time? But PGWP can't be restored, and I don't know how it works.
  3. Or should I first apply for Visitor Record restoration and at the same time apply for the study permit?
I carefully checked the immigration office website, and it says I can only restore to the status I held immediately before the loss of status.

"A foreign national can only apply to restore their status and authorization to one they held immediately prior to the loss of status."

So, it means I can only go with option 2. But I can't restore PGWP or any other work permit; if I submit it, it will definitely be rejected. That means option 2 doesn't work.

Option 3, restoring to VR, is it possible? I do have friends who have done it successfully, also with an expired PGWP. But according to the immigration office, restoring to VR doesn't seem to qualify as restoring to the status held immediately before the loss of status, right?

So, if none of these options work, do I have to go back to my home country to submit this study permit application outside Canada?

I don't understand... it's so complicated! NEED HELP!