+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about work experience

Kimchee

May 14, 2018
Hi all,
I got a question about my one year work experience. Because I got 4 days off at the beginning of my work. Its uppaid, but my contract still one year. So I would like to know is this still calculated one year work experience?

Thanks!

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Hi all,
I got a question about my one year work experience. Because I got 4 days off at the beginning of my work. Its uppaid, but my contract still one year. So I would like to know is this still calculated one year work experience?

Thanks!
I would like to say they won't bat an eye on your missing 4 days, your officer has to be super anal to reject your application on that basis, but 4 days are still 4 days, and the eligibility criteria is as clear as it gets. Can't you make up for those days?

Stick around for more answers and best of luck,

monkeyspanner

Sep 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
If you get holiday pay in lieu of paid days off that would normally count as an additional 2 weeks per year worked.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi all,
Proof of work experience is a letter from your employer that states the actual work experience (as opposed to what was planned in the contract). The letter needs to include exact start and end dates.

So, "it depends" on what dates your employer uses in the letter, and the reasons why those first 4 days were unpaid. Did you simply start your contract 4 days later than anticpated?

RE monkeyspanner's comment, many workers who are paid an hourly wage (as opposed to a salary) have 4% vacation pay added to every paycheck. Then when they take vacation, it looks like they didn't work because no hours are recorded, but they were simply taking vacation. So if you were an hourly worker and didn't take a lot of vacation time off in that year, you might be able to claim that time as vacation time ("reasonable" vacation would likely be 2 weeks per year, possibly more depending on NOC and what the norm is for your occupation).

Reactions: monkeyspanner