+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Visitors and PR processing.

Andrew91

Dec 4, 2013
I posted the other day looking for some info, but it didn't quite help me as much as I'd have liked. Long story short, I just need to know if I require a visitors visa after I have already passed in my Spouse PR Application? I'd like to avoid having to spend the money if it isn't necessary. Or will I still need a visitors visa up until they permit me PR status?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
do you require a visa to enter canada? if so, then yes, you still need a visa to visit canada until your pr is approved. submitting an application for PR doesn't cancel your need for a visa to travel to canada.

if you are visa EXEMPT (Which means you do not need a visa to travel to and enter canada), then you can just use your passport to enter as a visitor, and you can do this while your PR application is processing.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It looks like you're already in Canada and submitted an inland application without include an OWP as part of that inland application. If that's correct, then you do need to continue to extend your status to keep your stay in Canada valid. You can do this by paying the fee and applying to extend your visit from within Canada (this is the option I would go with). Or, if you hold a visa exempt passport, you can drive to a US/Canada land border, leave and then re-enter. Even if you are visa exempt, I wouldn't do the second and would opt for the first.

Andrew91

Dec 4, 2013
scylla said:
It looks like you're already in Canada and submitted an inland application without include an OWP as part of that inland application. If that's correct, then you do need to continue to extend your status to keep your stay in Canada valid. You can do this by paying the fee and applying to extend your visit from within Canada (this is the option I would go with). Or, if you hold a visa exempt passport, you can drive to a US/Canada land border, leave and then re-enter. Even if you are visa exempt, I wouldn't do the second and would opt for the first.
Yeah, your information is spot on. Thanks for more info on the matter. Puts my mind at ease just knowing what my options are. I'll make sure to extend my visa!