+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about visitor visa extension while waiting for OPW

Grey grey

Sep 22, 2023
Hi everyone,

I've submitted my inland sponsored PR application while holding a visitor visa and am waiting for my AOR. I understand that once I have the AOR, I could apply for an open work permit. My question is - once my open work permit application is submitted, do I still need to apply for a visitor visa extension if my current 180 days will finish before I get the OWP approval? Appreciate your advise!

Thanks,
Grey

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
First of all, visitor visa is a document that allows you to enter Canada and obtaining a status (visitor in that case).
180 days is a default length of allowed stays for visitor status if no visitor record or passport stamp was obtained at the port of entry. Stamp or visitor record may extend or reduce your allowed stay.

So I presume you are talking about your status, not your visa If you think you'll be able to send OWP application before your status expires, then you don't have to request for extension. You will be on a maintained status.

Be advised that if your application is returned due to any error, you will lose your status as if never applied for OWP.

Grey grey

Sep 22, 2023
First of all, visitor visa is a document that allows you to enter Canada and obtaining a status (visitor in that case).
180 days is a default length of allowed stays for visitor status if no visitor record or passport stamp was obtained at the port of entry. Stamp or visitor record may extend or reduce your allowed stay.

So I presume you are talking about your status, not your visa If you think you'll be able to send OWP application before your status expires, then you don't have to request for extension. You will be on a maintained status.

Be advised that if your application is returned due to any error, you will lose your status as if never applied for OWP.
Thanks for the detailed explanation! Yes you're right, I'm thinking about my status instead of my visa. If my OWP application is returned or denied while I'm still waiting for the PR approval, and my visitor status is also expired, does that leave me in a situation that I need to leave Canada immediately and re-enter with my visitor visa? In other words, if I apply for both visitor status extension and OWP, does it provide double reassurance that I won't be out of status while waiting for my PR?

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Thanks for the detailed explanation! Yes you're right, I'm thinking about my status instead of my visa. If my OWP application is returned or denied while I'm still waiting for the PR approval, and my visitor status is also expired, does that leave me in a situation that I need to leave Canada immediately and re-enter with my visitor visa? In other words, if I apply for both visitor status extension and OWP, does it provide double reassurance that I won't be out of status while waiting for my PR?
There is a crucial difference between having application denied or returned due to error.
If denied you loose status when the decision has been made. Thus you'll still have 90 days to restore the status.
If returned however, you loose your status as per your original due date as if never applied. Thus, due to long processing delays you risk to forfeit the time window allowed to restore status. Especially if OWP application was done at the end of the autorized stay

Having two consecutive application is a bit more complicated, you can read all the details here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your status is lost because there is an issue with the OWP, you can apply for Restoration of your current status within 90 days.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/restoration-status.html

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I personally think that it's better to apply for an extension. But it's your call. Applying for OWP does give you implied/maintainance status. But as told, if the applicaiton is returned as incomplete, then you will lost your status.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Right now we are waiting for her restoration of status to be processed and also waiting for her PR application (AOR June 27). My question: Do you believe that the fact that she is not currently working (and waiting for status) will lead IRCC to deny her PR application? Have you ever seen such a situation? Thank you all so very much for your help!
Nothing to do with family sponsorship, suggest you start a new thread in one of the appropriate sub-forums.

Reactions: carlosbaldojr

Esayat10

Apr 3, 2024
Hi do you have owp now?

Hi everyone,

I've submitted my inland sponsored PR application while holding a visitor visa and am waiting for my AOR. I understand that once I have the AOR, I could apply for an open work permit. My question is - once my open work permit application is submitted, do I still need to apply for a visitor visa extension if my current 180 days will finish before I get the OWP approval? Appreciate your advise!

Thanks,
Grey