+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Visitor Extension. (Reason and Length)

Chroniverous

Star Member
Aug 4, 2016
Hello, my girlfriend is going to extend her visitor status for another 6 months. Should we try for 1 year? We have filled out all the paperwork but are unsure what to put for reason of extension. I have read to put exploring relationship or trying to gain common law for PR. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also what do I need to provide along with her application? Should I just write a letter stating that I will be covering any cost and emergency funds if the need arises? Should I provide a record of employment, or pay stubs?

Anything else we should know?

Neilp

Sep 30, 2015
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chroniverous said:
Hello, my girlfriend is going to extend her visitor status for another 6 months. Should we try for 1 year? We have filled out all the paperwork but are unsure what to put for reason of extension. I have read to put exploring relationship or trying to gain common law for PR. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also what do I need to provide along with her application? Should I just write a letter stating that I will be covering any cost and emergency funds if the need arises? Should I provide a record of employment, or pay stubs?

Anything else we should know?
It never hurts to send a letter of explanation to CIC. Typical visitor visas are 6 months in nature unless support with work or study permit. Considering this is an extension make sure submit in advance of the visa expiring. In a letter, you can explain you will support her and show document (bank statement, record of employment etc) Just make sure your girlfriend still has strong ties back home so that he will return after the visa expires.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
yes, request more than 6 months if she intends to stay here longer than 6 months to help gain commonlaw status and apply for PR. CIC can give you less if they want, but they are not going to give more than requested, so it's usually safer to ask for more time than needed. This will save you time and money in the future since you won't have to keep applying for extensions. It is acceptable to request the extension to gain commonlaw status and apply for pr.

Chroniverous

Star Member
Aug 4, 2016
Thank you both for the response. We will be applying for a year and using the reasoning you have suggested. We appreciate the help!

As per getting her PR we already started getting everything we needed months ago :) phone bills, her name on the lease, a bank account together.

Chroniverous

Star Member
Aug 4, 2016
Is this financial support letter acceptable, please advise before we send this.

I, ____, have enclosed this letter of financial support with ____'s IMM5708 Visitor Extension Application. She is requesting to extend her stay for 1 year so that we can qualify for common-law status and cover the wait times shown by the VO office she will be sending her application to. She will then be applying for her permanent residency through the Family Class – Spousal program.
I, ____, will be taking full responsibility for any extra expenses or emergency funds required during the duration of her stay in Canada. I have the means of providing for her and have provided a letter of employment from my current employer. I will also provide pay stubs to attest for my financial ability to do so.
While she is visiting She and I both understand that she is unable to work or go to school, and will only be here solely to visit me, and gain common-law status.

During her extended stay, she will continue to stay at my house located at ____ where I will continue to provide financial support for her.

Omegabyte

Aug 8, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
02-03-2017
Chroniverous said:
Is this financial support letter acceptable, please advise before we send this.

I, ____, have enclosed this letter of financial support with ____'s IMM5708 Visitor Extension Application. She is requesting to extend her stay for 1 year so that we can qualify for common-law status and cover the wait times shown by the VO office she will be sending her application to. She will then be applying for her permanent residency through the Family Class – Spousal program.
I, ____, will be taking full responsibility for any extra expenses or emergency funds required during the duration of her stay in Canada. I have the means of providing for her and have provided a letter of employment from my current employer. I will also provide pay stubs to attest for my financial ability to do so.
While she is visiting She and I both understand that she is unable to work or go to school, and will only be here solely to visit me, and gain common-law status.

During her extended stay, she will continue to stay at my house located at ____ where I will continue to provide financial support for her.
Looks good to me.

Do you mind if I borrow this text for myself? I'm waiting on my PR application, and I might need to extend my visitor status later this year.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Chroniverous said:
I, ____, will be taking full responsibility for any extra expenses or emergency funds required during the duration of her stay in Canada.
Don't just say 'extra expenses'. Say you will be responsible for all of her expenses while in Canada, including any extra expenses and emergency expenses that might be required ....
Unless she has her own money and is planning to support herself, with you just providing money for anything unexpected.