+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Unemployment Benefits (EI) of PGWP

Tomican

Feb 20, 2020
Dear all,
I don't know where to ask this question, then I post here, may be some of you are in the same situation.

After finished my studying, I got PGWP and got a job. Due to my PGWP expired, I stopped my working after 2 years (can't got LIMA). Then the Covid-19 comes.

I applied for EI but was refused.

Luckily , I was approved for extended my PGWP (one-time 18 months). I went back to work after 22 weeks laid-off.

We all work legally, paid tax, paid UI etc ....the same as Canadians but CAN'T get Employment Insurance when laid-off, Why ?

Regards

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Dear all,
I don't know where to ask this question, then I post here, may be some of you are in the same situation.

After finished my studying, I got PGWP and got a job. Due to my PGWP expired, I stopped my working after 2 years (can't got LIMA). Then the Covid-19 comes.

Luckily , I was approved for extended my PGWP (one-time 18 months). I went back to work after 22 weeks laid-off.

We all work legally, paid tax, paid UI etc ....the same as Canadians but CAN'T get Employment Insurance when laid-off, Why ?

Regards
Where does it say you must be Canadian? Doesn’t matter if you aren’t Canadian or PR but you need to meet eligibility requirements - do you? You need the minimum number of incurable hours. What is your status now?

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Dear all,

Regards
One is eligible for EI-Regular if you're able to work, that said, you weren't able to work due to the fact that you didn't have a permit.
Here's a scenario:

I can work for 3years on PGWP, have enough insurable hours, but if my PGWP expires, I won't be eligible for EI. Since I won't have authorization to work.

Do you qualify
The information below should be used as a guideline. We encourage you to apply for Employment Insurance (EI) benefits as soon as possible and let us determine if you’re eligible.

You need to demonstrate that you:

• were employed in insurable employment
  • lost your job through no fault of your own
  • have been without work and without pay for at least 7 consecutive days in the last 52 weeks
  • have worked for the required number of insurable employment hours in the last 52 weeks or since the start of your last EI claim, whichever is shorter
  • are ready, willing and capable of working each day
  • are actively looking for work (you must keep a written record of employers you contact, including when you contacted them)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear all,

Regards
You were refused EI because you weren't holding a valid work permit at the time you applied. There is no requirement to be a Canadian citizen or PR to apply for EI. However you do have to be holding a valid work permit.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Didn’t realize he didn’t hold a valid work permit when OP applied, so wasn’t eligible. Nothing to do with citizenship, PR but need to hold a valid work permit.

Tomican

Feb 20, 2020
You guys don't get my point here.

3 years of legal working with 52 weeks/year
Then your PGWP expired, you must stopped working (no-faults).
Normally, you went back to your home country, right? (you may stay as visitors, or continue to study)
You can not apply for EI benefits since you lost your status right after PGWP expired

That is my point.