+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about traveling

SadGirl:(

Jul 20, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are a premanent resident of Canada and you have an Iraqi passport, would you be able to travel to other countries like a Canadian citizen would. What I mean is, for example, when we (Canadian citizens) want to go the U.S. or Europe we do not need to obtain a visa, but what if you are a permanent resident of Canada and you hold a foreign passport, would you have to take out a visa whenever you want to travel?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
SadGirl:( said:
If you are a premanent resident of Canada and you have an Iraqi passport, would you be able to travel to other countries like a Canadian citizen would. What I mean is, for example, when we (Canadian citizens) want to go the U.S. or Europe we do not need to obtain a visa, but what if you are a permanent resident of Canada and you hold a foreign passport, would you have to take out a visa whenever you want to travel?
Canadian permanent residents still need visas to go to countries whose visitors need visa to enter.

knaeem

Dec 30, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It depends what foreight passport you are holding... if you have Iraqi passport you need to get visa to go to US or europe even if you are a permanent resident of Canada. Once you get canadian passport then you can enter the countries which have exempted the visas for canadian passports holders e.g US, Europe etc.

Jul 20, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
knaeem said:
It depends what foreight passport you are holding... if you have Iraqi passport you need to get visa to go to US or europe even if you are a permanent resident of Canada. Once you get canadian passport then you can enter the countries which have exempted the visas for canadian passports holders e.g US, Europe etc.
My husband is a permanent resident of Sweden but holds an Iraqi passport. When he gets his Canadian PR and lets say we want to go and visit Sweden, that means he would have to take out a visitor visa, correct???

So, if my husband has to obtain visitor visas to places that we want to travel to, is it going to take as painfully long as it is taking for him to get his PR???

knaeem

Dec 30, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
knaeem said:
My husband is a permanent resident of Sweden but holds an Iraqi passport. When he gets his Canadian PR and lets say we want to go and visit Sweden, that means he would have to take out a visitor visa, correct???

So, if my husband has to obtain visitor visas to places that we want to travel to, is it going to take as painfully long as it is taking for him to get his PR???
If your husband holding Iraqi Passort and he is having Swedish permanent residence then he does not need a Swedish visa to enter Sweden, Infact he can go to any schengen states country without visa. Schengen countries most likely are, Germany, Holland, Italy, France, Spain etc they are more than 20 countries. you can find the list by typing Schengen countries in google search. Second part of your question If getting visa is as hard as getting PR? I would say NO after he gets his PR of Canada, It will be very easy for him to get other countries visas if he gives a valid reason to visit those countries.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
knaeem said:
Yes. But don't you get Canadian Passport only when you become a citizen? Canadian PRs do not have the privileges that Canadian Citizens enjoy. So to go to the US, Europe, permanent residents need to get visitor visas to be allowed entry.

Jul 20, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
knaeem said:
knaeem said:

If your husband holding Iraqi Passort and he is having Swedish permanent residence then he does not need a Swedish visa to enter Sweden, Infact he can go to any schengen states country without visa. Schengen countries most likely are, Germany, Holland, Italy, France, Spain etc they are more than 20 countries. you can find the list by typing Schengen countries in google search. Second part of your question If getting visa is as hard as getting PR? I would say NO after he gets his PR of Canada, It will be very easy for him to get other countries visas if he gives a valid reason to visit those countries.
I was under the impression that once my husband becomes a PR of Canada he would lose his PR in Sweden. Is this true or not???

As well, what would qualify as a valid reason to visit a country? Would visiting relatives be okay? What about visiting for the sake of visiting (like going on a vacation)?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
I was under the impression that once my husband becomes a PR of Canada he would lose his PR in Sweden. Is this true or not???

As well, what would qualify as a valid reason to visit a country? Would visiting relatives be okay? What about visiting for the sake of visiting (like going on a vacation)?
Depends upon the conditions of his Swedish Permanent Residency. I think if he could fulfill the conditions of both his permanent residency then he need not necessarily lose one in favor of the other.

Vacation, tourism I should think is a really valid reason for visiting another country. It's just that sometimes visa officers are wary of granting visitor visas for fear the foreign national may overstay their allowed entry.

Jul 20, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
job_seeker said:

Depends upon the conditions of his Swedish Permanent Residency. I think if he could fulfill the conditions of both his permanent residency then he need not necessarily lose one in favor of the other.

Vacation, tourism I should think is a really valid reason for visiting another country. It's just that sometimes visa officers are wary of granting visitor visas for fear the foreign national may overstay their allowed entry.
Thank you so much!

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
job_seeker said:

According to Migrationsverket you lose your Swedish PR immediately if you move to another country to live.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
Having PR in Canada doesn't make you visa exempt from other countries. you are just allowed to Canada without visa, but all other countries still apply their visa rules to you if you need visa to enter them. though, as I heard, sometimes Canadian PR can help you to obtain visa to other countries.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some non-first world countries, like Mexico, give special privileges to Canadian PRs.

Suin said:
Having PR in Canada doesn't make you visa exempt from other countries. you are just allowed to Canada without visa, but all other countries still apply their visa rules to you if you need visa to enter them. though, as I heard, sometimes Canadian PR can help you to obtain visa to other countries.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
Karlshammar said:
Some non-first world countries, like Mexico, give special privileges to Canadian PRs.
could you please explain more. it's interesting.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know a lot about this, to be honest. I am originally Swedish, and the Swedish passport has the most visa-waivers in the world, so it's not a topic I had much personal interest in. I know about Mexico for sure, and I've heard that other non-first world countries do it as well.

You can find more information at the website of the Mexican embassy in Ottawa at http://www.sre.gob.mx/canadaingles/ - click on Consular Services and then Visa Information. This is the information from their site, current as of today:

"Landed Immigrants of Canada

The Embassy of Mexico in Canada informs that starting on December 1, 2003, landed immigrants of Canada do not require a visa. However, they do need a tourist card, which may be obtained at Mexican consulates, on direct flights to Mexico or at the Mexican airport, and they must travel with the following:

Valid passport
Permanent resident ID card
Round trip tickets
Proof of economic solvency (credit card, traveller's cheques, etc.)

Please be aware that foreigners visiting Mexico must pay a tax fee (derecho de no inmigrante). When travelling by plane, the US$20.00 fee is included in the airplane ticket. When travelling by car, this tax will be charged at the port of entry."