+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about travel restrictions for coming to Canada as a new PR - Need negative covid test in English?

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
Hi there, my wife in China has recently been approved for permanent residency and is preparing to book her flights to Toronto soon.
So we know that as of now she will still have to go through the hotel quarantine process, but before that, we have a couple other questions. Like:
  • she needs to have a negative PCR covid test in China before boarding the plane - does it have to have the results in English for when she lands? As in have the test translated?
  • does the test she takes in China have to be from an approved location - similar to where she did her health exam? or is any reputable place good enough?
  • if her final destination is Toronto, but has to switch planes in Vancouver; she doesn't have to quarantine there before boarding her next flight does she? just quarantine in Toronto I assume?
  • can I meet her in Toronto and stay in the hotel to quarantine with her?
Hope my questions aren't too stupid... probably more stupid ones to come?

Thanks!

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
Also, just saw this on the Government Canada website. Does this mean that if her arrival test comes back negative she can bypass the hotel stay? Naturally the costs of the hotel are left to us and it's our responsibility to see whether a refund is available or we just have to suck it up and know that is the cost of doing business?

"If you receive a negative result on your arrival test, you may check out of the hotel and go directly to your quarantine location to complete the remainder of your quarantine. You must have a suitable plan for your quarantine"

How long are these covid tests done at the airport taking these days? I've pretty much been in hermit mode the last year+ and and not quite up to date on these things, nor have I had a covid test yet, but I'll be getting one just before she arrives

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there, my wife in China has recently been approved for permanent residency and is preparing to book her flights to Toronto soon.
So we know that as of now she will still have to go through the hotel quarantine process, but before that, we have a couple other questions. Like:
  • she needs to have a negative PCR covid test in China before boarding the plane - does it have to have the results in English for when she lands? As in have the test translated?
  • does the test she takes in China have to be from an approved location - similar to where she did her health exam? or is any reputable place good enough?
  • if her final destination is Toronto, but has to switch planes in Vancouver; she doesn't have to quarantine there before boarding her next flight does she? just quarantine in Toronto I assume?

Thanks!
1) She can ask the lab if they give her report in English since she is travelling to Canada
2) Here's the government link for all Covid testing facilities in China: https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/china#health
3) She would have to book the mandatory hotel quarantine in Vancouver for the first several days and then fly to Toronto. Btw, no direct flights? She will have to deal with the hotel for the refund if she is allowed to leave sooner.
4) Not sure, but she can put it in her isolation plan in the arrivecan app and see what happens!

Below, is an idea how long are these covid tests done at the airport taking these days:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/trudeau-check-quarantine-hotel-overnight-132234970.html

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thanks!

Thanks!
The PCR test result will be checked at the airport so it doesn't need to be translated into English although if the lab offers an English copy I would get both. The government has posted a list of reputable labs but as long as you go with a well known and reputable lab you should be fine. Your spouse must quarantine in Vancouver. No spouses can join in the hotel. You must actually remain separated during the whole quarantine process even when she arrives in Toronto or it wouldn't be an effective quarantine. Yes the initial quarantine test will be done at the Vancouver airport. She will need to do further quarantine tests during the quarantine period and arrange for a courier to pick up the samples. All instructions and supplies will be provided. You will need to schedule the flight from Vancouver to Toronto anticipating when the test results will be back so it is not that easy for people requiring onward travel to leave the hotel early. Test usually come back before the 3rd day but there are no guarantees. Unless you pay for a covid test you won't qualify for one unless you are ill or have had a known exposure. Your spouse needs to quarantine for 14 days away from you so there is no actual need for you to take a covid test.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada

Thanks!
Prior to boarding the plane a negative PCR test is required within 72hrs of the flight.
The covid test result has to be in English or French when she lands. You should contact the public hospital first and make sure they can provide it in English as many are unable to. You can book an appointment which is recommended or take your chances and line up for the test prior to the flight. Some hospitals are busier than others so calculate your time wisely. Costs about 75rmb or equivalent to $15.00 Canadian and don't forget to request a paper copy just to be safe.

You will not be able to stay with her in the quarantine hotel when she arrives in Canada. :(
(Don't pick the cheapest one).

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
Thanks for the replies, this community truly is my saving grace. Direct and to the point!

We were thinking of booking her ticket with a layover in Vancouver because there simply seems to be way more flight options that way, plus it could be the difference between a 20 hour journey and a 30+ hour journey (cheaper too!). She has been on less than a handful of flights (all 3 hours or less) so ideally she doesn't have to do a loooong haul. Any time I would make the trip back and forth to China 2+ years ago) it was rare that I would see any layovers in YVR, but it seems covid has impacted flight routes in general. But to avoid quarantining in Vancouver I think we'll most definitely opt for one directly to Toronto. The few flights i see from China to Toronto have a brief layover in Seoul, anyone know offhand if she'll be able to pull that off without quarantining there too?

Details seem to be murky about needing an English covid test, because she'll be showing it at the gates before she departs. But to be safe we will anyways. Thanks for that list of places offering tests in China, she'll be calling around to see if they can provide results in both Chinese and English, with a paper copy too.

Unfortunate that i can't do the hotel stay with her, but it makes sense. I'm not sure I agree that I cant do the 14 day home quarantine with her, especially if our quarantine plan is rock solid as I live alone in a detached house and will be taking a month off work. How heavily enforced are these rules and what is the likelihood of getting busted if I were to go ahead with it? Not that I would ever do that.

Thanks again for the help!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the replies, this community truly is my saving grace. Direct and to the point!

We were thinking of booking her ticket with a layover in Vancouver because there simply seems to be way more flight options that way, plus it could be the difference between a 20 hour journey and a 30+ hour journey (cheaper too!). She has been on less than a handful of flights (all 3 hours or less) so ideally she doesn't have to do a loooong haul. Any time I would make the trip back and forth to China 2+ years ago) it was rare that I would see any layovers in YVR, but it seems covid has impacted flight routes in general. But to avoid quarantining in Vancouver I think we'll most definitely opt for one directly to Toronto. The few flights i see from China to Toronto have a brief layover in Seoul, anyone know offhand if she'll be able to pull that off without quarantining there too?

Details seem to be murky about needing an English covid test, because she'll be showing it at the gates before she departs. But to be safe we will anyways. Thanks for that list of places offering tests in China, she'll be calling around to see if they can provide results in both Chinese and English, with a paper copy too.

Unfortunate that i can't do the hotel stay with her, but it makes sense. I'm not sure I agree that I cant do the 14 day home quarantine with her, especially if our quarantine plan is rock solid as I live alone in a detached house and will be taking a month off work. How heavily enforced are these rules and what is the likelihood of getting busted if I were to go ahead with it? Not that I would ever do that.

You will need to look at the requirements for Chinese passport holders who want to transit through South Korea.

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
You will need to look at the requirements for Chinese passport holders who want to transit through South Korea.
thanks! So, from what I've gathered so far, it doesn't seem like anyone needs an ETA for transit through Incheon airport in South Korea (a few countries seemed to require it, but not China). it seems like it is only required if leaving the airport or having to go through immigration.

I got a (likely dumb) follow up question: We are currently looking at flights that go from Shanghai to S. Korea to Toronto, with a 1 hour and 10 min layover in S. Korea. The flight from S. Korea to Toronto is the same flight number and everything. I haven't travelled too much and have never seen this. So is this a situation where the passengers who were in Shanghai going to Toronto don't have to leave the plane?

Obviously I will need to call the airlines etc to verify all this, but just looking for some helpful opinions for now.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thanks! So, from what I've gathered so far, it doesn't seem like anyone needs an ETA for transit through Incheon airport in South Korea (a few countries seemed to require it, but not China). it seems like it is only required if leaving the airport or having to go through immigration.

I got a (likely dumb) follow up question: We are currently looking at flights that go from Shanghai to S. Korea to Toronto, with a 1 hour and 10 min layover in S. Korea. The flight from S. Korea to Toronto is the same flight number and everything. I haven't travelled too much and have never seen this. So is this a situation where the passengers who were in Shanghai going to Toronto don't have to leave the plane?

Obviously I will need to call the airlines etc to verify all this, but just looking for some helpful opinions for now.
Not sure if that means that the stopover involves the same plane so there wouldn't be concerns about a tight connection. It does sound like it but would verify

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Are you sure there will be quarantine in Seoul? Last time when my FIL boarded the plane from China to Korea, he waited inside the plane for an hour or so. Then the same plane took off for YVR.

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
Are you sure there will be quarantine in Seoul? Last time when my FIL boarded the plane from China to Korea, he waited inside the plane for an hour or so. Then the same plane took off for YVR.
ya that's what i assume would happen, but I honestly don't know. I assume there would be no quarantine in that situation. It's an Air Canada flight #28 from PVG to ICN, then the same AC flight #28 from ICN to YYZ. I will call Air Canada tomorrow to see if they have a definite answer, and hope i won't have to call S. Korea

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ya that's what i assume would happen, but I honestly don't know. I assume there would be no quarantine in that situation. It's an Air Canada flight #28 from PVG to ICN, then the same AC flight #28 from ICN to YYZ. I will call Air Canada tomorrow to see if they have a definite answer, and hope i won't have to call S. Korea
My FIL's flight was AC too PVG/ICN ICN/YVR but that's last year.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada

No murky details regarding the pre-flight covid test in English. The Canadian Government request it and you will be asked to provide it when you land.
Some just use an app but I think having a paper copy is extra insurance. As you know, once you arrive in Canada you are required to take another covid test and then off to the quarantine hotel until that result comes back negative. Word of advice..... All incoming flights requiring covid testing are funneled through one area at the airport so wear a good mask, don't touch anything, and keep your distance from everyone. Sometimes the lineups are long.
( Your flight may be fine but other flights from different areas may have higher risks of Covid ).

Reactions: canuck78

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
No murky details regarding the pre-flight covid test in English. The Canadian Government request it and you will be asked to provide it when you land.
Some just use an app but I think having a paper copy is extra insurance. As you know, once you arrive in Canada you are required to take another covid test and then off to the quarantine hotel until that result comes back negative. Word of advice..... All incoming flights requiring covid testing are funneled through one area at the airport so wear a good mask, don't touch anything, and keep your distance from everyone. Sometimes the lineups are long.
( Your flight may be fine but other flights from different areas may have higher risks of Covid ).
thanks for the useful advise. Will definitely be keeping safe. my girl will be wearing goggles and probably 5 masks lol.