+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about spousal sponsorship

jimmyspeath

Jan 6, 2017
My wife is currently sponsoring me, she is a law student and has taken on a part time job in which to "sponsor" me. Does she need to have a job? Or can we live off savings etc? It is just her job is taking up time that she could be studying and she feels held back. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Elohim

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
jimmyspeath said:
My wife is currently sponsoring me, she is a law student and has taken on a part time job in which to "sponsor" me. Does she need to have a job? Or can we live off savings etc? It is just her job is taking up time that she could be studying and she feels held back. Does anyone know the answer to this?
Not really.. But she needs to explain or demonstrate on her plans after school and how she intend to support you once you immigrate

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jimmyspeath said:
There is no income requirement to sponsor. Many people have successfully sponsored spouses while being unemployed or in school. In lieu of a job you can provide instead:
- testimonials from family that they will provide financial support
- a letter explaining job prospects of sponsor after graduating
- a letter explaining job prospects of the applicant after getting PR status
- also explaining how you can live of savings in the meantime until you are both employed

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jimmyspeath said:
Thanks, are you allowed to change your application once it is processing with your case officer?
Change what?

If she quits her job, there is no need to provide any update as this is a minor detail. What she submitted for employment was valid at the time of application submission so that's all that matters.