+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about sponsorship eligibility

Rainbow1198

Mar 28, 2018
I am a Canadian citizen and my husband is a US citizen. I am currently on mat leave. He works remotely for a company in South Africa. We had hoped I wouldn’t have to return to work when my mat leave is over, however that’s in less than a year now and he hasn’t even submitted his PR application yet. I wouldn’t be approved to sponsor him with no income, correct?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
There is no income requirement for spousal sponsorship, but you would need to show adequate fund to support yourselves without government assistance.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
I'm assuming you have looked at the Document Checklist, the document that should guide your decisions about what is required to support your application.
One document that you will be required to submit is your last available NoA from CRA. That should show some income, I'm guessing.
If you are currently unemployed, which mat leave is not, technically, you can submit a letter from your employer, outlining your current situation, and also proof of your spouse's income along with the common-sense explanation that since you are spouses, your financial lives are entwined. You are on mat leave with his baby. And he will support you as any spouse would do under the circumstances.
Actual people will read your file. Appeal to the common sense of actual people.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is your husband living in Canada? If so assume you know he can only work if the compamt has no Canadian clients.