+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about sponsorship application

Laugirl

Apr 16, 2006
nigeria
Hi everybody,
This is my first time on this forum.My husband is a permanent resident in canada.we got married in july 2005.I had our baby in september 2005 and he applied for us in december 2005.they (cic) sent an acknowledgement of receipt to him in jan 2006 saying that they just started looking into our case on the 18th of jan.So far,we have not heard any other word from them.Is this normal? I thought initial approval for out of canada sponsorship takes 42 days.Can somebody please!! help me to throw more light on this?.I thought by now the application will be in accra.
Secondly, my husband plans to go to school in America in August, will this affect our application being that he is a permanent resident and not a citizen?

BCbound

Star Member
Jan 4, 2005
Normal time for an out of Canada sponsorship to go through is 6-9 months. I don't know where you got the 42 days from.

I have just sponsored my wife and the process went completly smoothly. It took almost exactly 6 months from when we sent the application to when she got her passport returned with her visa in it.

However, this varies depending on the country you are currently in and which consulate is handling your application.