+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about sponsoring additional dependant

Denise13

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Toronto ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got pregnant by my boyfriend and is now on my 7th month of pregnancy. Should I put my lastname or my boyfriend's last name on my baby's name for me to add him in our ongoing application?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Denise13 said:
I got pregnant by my boyfriend and is now on my 7th month of pregnancy. Should I put my lastname or my boyfriend's last name on my baby's name for me to add him in our ongoing application?
That is a purely personal choice. Conventionally, the baby normally takes the fathers surname in western cultures if the parents are married. However, it's completely up to you both to decide. CIC will not care.

Denise13

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Toronto ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ahh I see. So its ok to for him to use his father's last name? Coz some people told me to use my surname for my baby because if he will bear his father's surname, i wouldnt able to add him to my application.

Denise13

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Toronto ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And by the way, we are not yet married. We are not allowed to be married since i am declared as SINGLE in our application.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Just to confirm that you are NOT common-law with your boyfriend? (even accidentally).

Certainly, just the fact that you are having a child together will not change your status from single.
There is no problem from a CIC point of view with the child having whatever name you wish to give it when it's born.

You will need to ensure that any birth certificate(s) bear the same name that you are using on the CIC forms, or things will get confusing. I assume that it is permissible to have the birth certificate(s) with the fathers surname for the child?

I also assume that you are sharing this forum account, and that you are the dependent daughter?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Denise13 said:
Ahh I see. So its ok to for him to use his father's last name? Coz some people told me to use my surname for my baby because if he will bear his father's surname, i wouldnt able to add him to my application.
It really doesn't matter. Who's last name you choose, makes absolutely zero difference in your application.

And by the way, we are not yet married. We are not allowed to be married since i am declared as SINGLE in our application.
If you are applying for PR as Type A dependent of your parents, then in addition to not being married you can also not become common-law with your bf. So if you live in the same home with him for 1 year, that would also cancel your dependent status on your parents application.

Since you have a child together and will have a long relationship by the time you land as SINGLE, you should be prepared that CIC may want to do an investigation to make sure that you were not really common-law when you landed.

Denise13

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Toronto ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zardoz said:
Just to confirm that you are NOT common-law with your boyfriend? (even accidentally).

Certainly, just the fact that you are having a child together will not change your status from single.
There is no problem from a CIC point of view with the child having whatever name you wish to give it when it's born.

You will need to ensure that any birth certificate(s) bear the same name that you are using on the CIC forms, or things will get confusing. I assume that it is permissible to have the birth certificate(s) with the fathers surname for the child?

I also assume that you are sharing this forum account, and that you are the dependent daughter?

Yes, we are not in a common law relationship. We are not yet living in the same house, [ although sometimes, I am sleeping in their house for days, and immediately return home, I hope that's ok :) ]

So all I have to do is use his father's lastname in all his documents including birth certificate and CIC forms to avoid confusion.

And yes, I am the dependent daughter, 20 years old, single.

Denise13

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Toronto ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
It really doesn't matter. Who's last name you choose, makes absolutely zero difference in your application.

If you are applying for PR as Type A dependent of your parents, then in addition to not being married you can also not become common-law with your bf. So if you live in the same home with him for 1 year, that would also cancel your dependent status on your parents application.

Since you have a child together and will have a long relationship by the time you land as SINGLE, you should be prepared that CIC may want to do an investigation to make sure that you were not really common-law when you landed.
Ahh I see.. I prefer using his father's lastname in all CIC forms :)

I am applied as a Type B dependent child. I continued studying after graduating college. Yes, I am informed that we are not allowed to be married or in a common law relationship, but is it ok if I stay in their house for a week, then next week in our house? Would that be considered common law? I assumed common law relationship is living together continuously for a year.