+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about RAMQ coverage

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I called Manulife and the person said it's basically RAMQ coverage, without the card.
I would be shocked if for $150/month and as a private individual not an employer that you will be able to get the same coverage as RAMQ. I have attached the enhanced policy details which is the top line policy for visitors available to purchase as a private Individual and it doesn’t cover normal pregnancy. You can’t trust a customer service agent. You need to read the fine print of the policy. I haven’t spent a ton of time looking at all the policies available to visitors to Canada through all insurance companies so I would be interested to see what policy the customer service agent is referring to. If you look at the 3 policies from Manulife none will cover normal pregnancy.

https://www.manulife.ca/content/dam/consumer-portal/documents/en/travel/visitor-to-canada-enhanced-policye.pdf

djjosh

Aug 10, 2021
I would be shocked if for $150/month and as a private individual not an employer that you will be able to get the same coverage as RAMQ. I have attached the enhanced policy details which is the top line policy for visitors available to purchase as a private Individual and it doesn’t cover normal pregnancy. You can’t trust a customer service agent. You need to read the fine print of the policy. I haven’t spent a ton of time looking at all the policies available to visitors to Canada through all insurance companies so I would be interested to see what policy the customer service agent is referring to. If you look at the 3 policies from Manulife none will cover normal pregnancy.

https://www.manulife.ca/content/dam/consumer-portal/documents/en/travel/visitor-to-canada-enhanced-policye.pdf
It's through my employer so maybe that explains it?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It's through my employer so maybe that explains it?
Some employers provide private insurance coverage as part of a relocation package typically to cover the up to 3 months period before people qualify for provincial healthcare. Was access to this policy part of your employment contract? Would still make sure you read the policy’s fine print yourself.

djjosh

Aug 10, 2021
Some employers provide private insurance coverage as part of a relocation package typically to cover the up to 3 months period before people qualify for provincial healthcare. Was access to this policy part of your employment contract? Would still make sure you read the policy’s fine print yourself.
No, I'm not a new employee. It's a policy in place for any dependents who are in process of becoming PRs. And yes you are right about the 3 months period before provincial healthcare, I was concerned about that, I explicitly said spouse does not have PR yet and it is still processing, but they said I can just pay again every 3 months until healthcare is procured. Will they let me do that for a year? We will see, maybe not.