+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about RAMQ coverage

djjosh

Aug 10, 2021
Hello,

I am a Canadian Citizen. My spouse is from abroad and I am in the process of sponsoring her. She will be visiting Quebec on a TRV soon. My question is, if she gets pregnant with our child, will the pregnancy still be covered by RAMQ since I am a Canadian Citizen and Quebec resident? Wife won't have insurance yet.

Thanks.

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
it won’t be covered unfortunately.
Highly recommend to get travel insurance until you wait for at least AIP or PR.

she can get ramq via owp but she needs to have a job

djjosh

Aug 10, 2021
it won’t be covered unfortunately.
Highly recommend to get travel insurance until you wait for at least AIP or PR.

she can get ramq via owp but she needs to have a job
But travel insurance won't cover pregnancy will it?

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
But travel insurance won't cover pregnancy will it?
No. It's just a general advice since you wrote "Wife won't have insurance yet." hence I assumed that she won't have any insurance. Travel insurance isn't costly; any, even small, emergency will cost much more.

djjosh

Aug 10, 2021
Once you receive your AIP letter and CSQ, you can apply ramq card and it will cover what you need.
But I imagine the AIP comes much much later no? With Quebec keep increasing processing times, we may have to wait years to get the AIP. She already has CSQ.

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
But I imagine the AIP comes much much later no? With Quebec keep increasing processing times, we may have to wait years to get the AIP. She already has CSQ.
Aip is sent by ircc. We have no idea how will they go about processing apps. Some get everything completed including getting aip then put on hold

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I am a Canadian Citizen. My spouse is from abroad and I am in the process of sponsoring her. She will be visiting Quebec on a TRV soon. My question is, if she gets pregnant with our child, will the pregnancy still be covered by RAMQ since I am a Canadian Citizen and Quebec resident? Wife won't have insurance yet.

Thanks.
Unless you can afford to pay for care out of pocket then would wait to get pregnant. If you have extended benefits through your employer they also won’t have access to the policy until they have RAMQ. This is the major flaw in allowing TRVs for spouses. Many will get pregnant and not have insurance. There are some policies that do cover pregnancy but typically you have been on the policy for 6+ months before getting pregnant because there are unplanned pregnancies. Would suggest reading the fine print of all the policies. Would add that if you spouse hasn’t worked they will not qualify for EI maternity payments.

djjosh

Aug 10, 2021
Unless you can afford to pay for care out of pocket then would wait to get pregnant. If you have extended benefits through your employer they also won’t have access to the policy until they have RAMQ. This is the major flaw in allowing TRVs for spouses. Many will get pregnant and not have insurance. There are some policies that do cover pregnancy but typically you have been on the policy for 6+ months before getting pregnant because there are unplanned pregnancies. Would suggest reading the fine print of all the policies. Would add that if you spouse hasn’t worked they will not qualify for EI maternity payments.
Thanks. Apparently, we can apply for provincial plan replacement from Manulife which is supposed to cover everything RAMQ does until you get RAMQ.

Reactions: ERCAN

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks. Apparently, we can apply for provincial plan replacement from Manulife which is supposed to cover everything RAMQ does until you get RAMQ.
You can but it tends to be very expensive. You’ll have to read the fine print. You may have to have the policy for a long period of time (6+ months for example) before you get pregnant to have coverage fora pregnancy. If the policy is inexpensive it is not meant to cover planned pregnancy. The actuaries will have accounted for an occasional unplanned pregnancy but insurance companies and policies are set up to make money not lose money.

djjosh

Aug 10, 2021
You can but it tends to be very expensive. You’ll have to read the fine print. You may have to have the policy for a long period of time (6+ months for example) before you get pregnant to have coverage fora pregnancy. If the policy is inexpensive it is not meant to cover planned pregnancy. The actuaries will have accounted for an occasional unplanned pregnancy but insurance companies and policies are set up to make money not lose money.
It's about $150/month. Apparently it replaces RAMQ coverage, so everything RAMQ covers, the PPR covers. Not sure about the 6 months things, I can look into that.

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
It's about $150/month. Apparently it replaces RAMQ coverage, so everything RAMQ covers, the PPR covers. Not sure about the 6 months things, I can look into that.
I tried to get this coverage, my agent told me that we can`t get it as I don`t have group insurance (I currently work for a company outside of Canada so I can be with my family). So just be advised of this requirement. At least that's what I was told.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
$150/month and replaces RAMQ coverage. That seems highly unusual and seems more like emergency travel insurance. Bi would read the fine print very carefully. Looked at the manulife plan that I think you are referring to and it doesn’t over prenatal care of normal delivery. it can cover very premature delivery since most wouldn’t be planning on giving birth a few months before their due date.

djjosh

Aug 10, 2021
I tried to get this coverage, my agent told me that we can`t get it as I don`t have group insurance (I currently work for a company outside of Canada so I can be with my family). So just be advised of this requirement. At least that's what I was told.
Thanks. We were apparently approved for it, but let's see if I can submit receipts and get them reimbursed.

djjosh

Aug 10, 2021
$150/month and replaces RAMQ coverage. That seems highly unusual and seems more like emergency travel insurance. Bi would read the fine print very carefully. Looked at the manulife plan that I think you are referring to and it doesn’t over prenatal care of normal delivery. it can cover very premature delivery since most wouldn’t be planning on giving birth a few months before their due date.
I called Manulife and the person said it's basically RAMQ coverage, without the card.