+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about PWGP eligibility

Joelle111

May 30, 2018
Hello all,

I have a very straightforward question about the PGWP eligibility. Let’s assume I applied and got accepted into a program. I know that the PGWP isn’t eligible if the student takes “a semester off” (as per CIC website). My question is what if I only took just a month off for maternal reasons (pregnancy obviously) with proof and authorised leave from the university - while maintaining good grades. Would that make me ineligible as well? Does the rule apply to only a semester or even missing a day from class?

Many thanks for any input xo

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Yes this month off could make you ineligible as well, it depends on the officer, they can choose to ignore any explanation or authorization from the university, the idea is to prevent people from unnecessarily prolonging their stay in Canada while "studying". There are some reports of people being denied due to sick leave, I think a lawyer with experience is recommended if you need to do this.

Missing a day here and there is fine especially if you let them know, some schools will report you to CIC if you don't attend classes though, check with your school.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You would have to arrange it with the university and program. You will probably be asked to take a semester off because you need to attend classes or clinical placements and then rejoining when you the courses are offered again. That may be the following year. You may also have difficulty getting a visa when you are pregnant. If you have medical proof PGWP shouldn't be an issue but there are no guarantees. The issue is you also have to rejoin when the classes are offered which could be the next year. Remember pregnancy is unpredictable so you could end up needing to take off more time than anticipated. You would also have to look at the medical coverage for international students (UHIP) because they are not covered under the provincial healthcare program.