+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Police Certification Requirement

BCBound20

May 11, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of applying for the Express Entry FSW program, but I am unsure about a detail regarding police certification requirements. Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated.

According to the Canadian Immigration website, I will need a police certification for “every country you stayed in during the last 10 years for 6 months or more in a row. You don’t need to give us police certificates for any period of time before you were 18 years old.”

My situation is a little bit complicated, so I am unsure whether I will need a police certification based on the above statement.

I grew up in the USA as a permanent resident there, but a few months after turning 18, I left the country to study at university abroad. For the following years, I would return to the USA to visit for a little bit, but never 6 months or more. A few years later, I lost my USA permanent residency status due to not being within the country for long enough which is another story, but for a several year time period before that point I was still classified as a legal resident.

In other words, I was never in the USA for more than 6 months at a time after my 18th birthday, but I was technically a permanent resident for several years during that time – so with this detail in mind will I still be required to provide a USA police certification for Canadian immigration? I.e., does “country stayed in” mean inclusive of a country I legally resided in or does it mean only a country I was was physically within the borders of?

Note: this has all occurred within the last 10 years. I have been living in the UK since then, so I will of course be getting a UK police certification.

Many thanks