+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about past sponsorships!

italiano1987

May 28, 2012
In regards to form IMM5532E, Part A, 2. Other Sponsorships:

When I first applied for PR in 2015, I did so adding my now ex wife at the time, who was residing in Italy while I worked in Canada. When I received my PR, so did she, and then joined me here in Canada. Does that count as sponsoring someone? Or does the IRCC define sponsorship solely based on who ever applies for Spousal Sponsorship and Family Class?

If anyone knows, that's much appreciated! Kind of stuck on this form. :oops:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In regards to form IMM5532E, Part A, 2. Other Sponsorships:

When I first applied for PR in 2015, I did so adding my now ex wife at the time, who was residing in Italy while I worked in Canada. When I received my PR, so did she, and then joined me here in Canada. Does that count as sponsoring someone? Or does the IRCC define sponsorship solely based on who ever applies for Spousal Sponsorship and Family Class?

If anyone knows, that's much appreciated! Kind of stuck on this form. :oops:

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1259&top=14

Previous undertakings:
Refers to sponsorship applications you are or were involved with, either as a sponsor or co-signer, where the applicants were granted permanent residence as a result of the application.

Reactions: italiano1987

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So then... no, I don't need to add my previous spouse who migrated with me to Canada. Correct?
Sounds like she got PR because of you (you included her in however you obtained PR), but you did not actually sponsor her, correct? If so, then you have not previously sponsored her, right?

FWIW, we've seen more than a handful of PRs that did NOT include their spouse in their own PR application and are not able to sponsor that spouse, ever! Good thing you did it right!

Reactions: italiano1987