+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Passport renewal and still valid permits and TRV

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Hi, I'm currently studying in Canada doing a 3y diploma program.

I've been here for about 3 years. The reason I have not yet graduated is because I took coop instead and that pushed my graduation a year.

My old passport expires before I graduate so I renewed it at the local embassy and my TRV and permits expires next month.

I already renewed the permits using the old passport. The new passport I got has a different number.

Now I'm in the process of renewing my TRV with the new passport.

1) Will this cause me problems? I still have the old passport (but says canceled) and on the new one it does say what number my previous passport was.

2)At the bottom of the TRV form (IMM5257E) there is no box to sign my name electronically unlike the form I used to get my Study and Coop permits. Should I leave this blank? I am submitting these applications online. Also the title of this document is "Application for Visitor Visa (TRV) Made Outside of Canada (IMM5257)". Is this even the right form as I'm applying from inside of Canada.

3) Do I need the TRV to keep studying legally or is it just for entering and exiting Canada. I'm not sure if I can get it by next month (TRV expires), the Study and Coop permits themselves took almost two months to renew (because of holidays).

Thanks!

Best regards,
Senri S.

Abbas1

Star Member
Apr 2, 2012
You can keep your old study permit which has your old passport number, and apply for TRV for with your new passport

no problems there