+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question About Online Citizenship Test

amir_e

Feb 13, 2022
Hello. Can someone with experience in the online test help answer these questions:
- Is it ok to use MacBook?
- How to make sure the webcam is on? I read that some members were told their webcam was not switched on.
- Do you see a video of yourself being recorded in the corner of the screen while taking the test?
- When taking a photo of the ID, the instructions say that we have to make sure only the photo ID and our hand are visible to the webcam and not the face. Does that man we have to move completely out of the camera or it is ok to appear behind the card?
- Is it better to use the driver license since it has a signature?
- If I use the PR card, there is a transparent area in the card that shows what is behind. should I stick a white paper at the back?

Last edited:

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hello. Can someone with experience in the online test help answer these questions:
- How to make sure the webcam is on? I read that some members were told their webcam was not switched on.
- Do you see a video of yourself being recorded in the corner of the screen while taking the test?
- When taking a photo of the ID, the instructions say that we have to make sure only the photo ID and our hand are visible to the webcam and not the face. Does that man we have to move completely out of the camera or it is ok to appear behind the card?
- If I use the PR card, there is a transparent area in the card that shows what is behind. should I stick a white paper at the back?
- Yes
- Test the camera before the test. Before the test it will ask you to give permission to use the camera. Allow it. It will automatically detect your default camera.
- Yes
- Move out of the frame. Just your hand.
- Not sure. I used my PR card
- No

Qrios1

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
Just to add on 1) you can use your Drivers License for sure.
2) And you don’t completely have to duck behind your desk just hold your ID up blocking your face. If your ears or hair stick out that’s ok too.
3) I used a MacBook just make sure you are not connected to VPN and that all tabs, internet and email is closed.
best of luck

amir_e

Feb 13, 2022
Thank you @CaBeaver and @Qrios1. I have another question, should the ID I use be the same as the one I submitted with the citizenship application? So for example if I submitted my health card with the citizenship application, should I use the same piece of ID for the test?

Qrios1

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
Doesn’t have to be. Either your PR card, DL or Health Card will be fine to use. They want to establish that the person taking the test matches the ID picture you submitted with your application and the video stills the officer will review afterwards.

Bells!

Mar 24, 2024

Bells!

Mar 24, 2024
Hello! I have a similar question. Yesterday I was taking the test. I was a bit worried and after I submitted the test I realised I didnt even notice if I was on the screen on a webcam or not. How does it look like? Is there a possibility that there wasn't any webcamera recording?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hello! I have a similar question. Yesterday I was taking the test. I was a bit worried and after I submitted the test I realised I didnt even notice if I was on the screen on a webcam or not. How does it look like? Is there a possibility that there wasn't any webcamera recording?
Noone here was with you to say whether your webcam settings were set properly.
You should hear from IRCC very soon anyway. Probably in a few days. Either everything was fine and you'll see athe citizenship test turn complete in the portal, or you'll be contacted by IRCC if there was a problem.

Bells!

Mar 24, 2024
Noone here was with you to say whether your webcam settings were set properly.
You should hear from IRCC very soon anyway. Probably in a few days. Either everything was fine and you'll see athe citizenship test turn complete in the portal, or you'll be contacted by IRCC if there was a problem.
Thank you !