+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about nurses

chasinglight

Apr 28, 2014
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
Port Of Spain
My friend is a nurse but I'm wondering how this program will work for nurses. How will they get a job offer? You have to pass the provincial licensing exam to work as a nurse and in order to take the exam you must be a resident. So how will foreign nurses be able to get residency under express entry?

Dec 5, 2014
I could be wrong, but in order to qualify for Express Entry, as a nurse, you are held to the same standard as everyone else: you would send your transcripts to one of the approved organisations and they simply assess it and verify that it is equivalent to a degree in Canada. The credentialing organisations do NOT assess licenses, but I think it is well within their scope to look at a transcript from a nursing degree in Country X and compare it to the standards for an equivalent nursing degree in Canada. I could be wrong, but this is my thinking. If her degree is equivalent to Canadian, then she can continue with the Express Entry as anyone else would.

Now, when it comes to licensing, the tricky part sets in. Canadian nursing regulatory bodies (except Quebec and territories) now require that Internationally Educated Nurses (IENs) have their foreign nursing credentials assessed by NNAS (National Nursing Assessment Service) .. their job is to actually to compare the International Nursing Credential to that of Canada. They ensure that one has received a nursing education that encompasses the entire scope of practice for a Canadian Nurse and that the education received is up to Canadian standards. Their fee is $650!! And for the IELTs language test, they only accept the ACADEMIC version, not the general version that is required for immigration purposes.

Your friend absolutely CAN have her credentials assessed before she arrives in Canada and there are many advantages to doing so. When NNAS has completed their part, they forward the report to the Regulatory board of the province she chooses. The regulatory board will then advise on what the next steps will be - if the nursing education is not found to be equivalent, they can recommend a bridge program that will bring her up to standard etc etc. The NNAS website actually has very gd info and outlines their process quite well.

Depending on how desperate the province or employer is for nurses, or on how highly skilled your friend is, she MAY get an employer or a province who will give her a job offer before she is licensed in Canada....again, really depends on many factors; how acute their need for a nurse is, whether any Canadians can do the job, how long they are willing to wait to be staffed, if they are willing to gamble on an International Nurse and your friend's skill set, etc, etc.

I hope this helps and my apologies if I have misunderstood or misstated anything, this is just my understanding of the process...hopefully someone can correct me if I have :)

Dabas B

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
Hi
To work as a Nurse Follow below procedure :

1. IELTS Academic Version with minimum score of 7
2. Docx Verification from NNAS
3. After NNAS report, apply for initial registration in the province you are interested by paying a fee of approx 200
4. If they are ok with your nursing level education, the will give you permission to Write NCLEX-RN which will cost you 360 dollars per attempt + 200 dollars additional.You can give this exam at different Centres all over the world
But
If your education level is not upto the mark, you have to enroll for the courses before writing NCLEX RN Exam
5.After clearing exam, you will have arrange for a job offer (which you can easily get ) and after landing in canada you can get yourself register.
Its very lengthy-hardworking process.

For more details, please view Nurse assosication of the provience in which you are interested.All have different approach but they have 3 things in common :
IELTS-NNAS-NCLEX RN EXAM

Dec 5, 2014
Well put, Dabas! :)

Is it now possible to do NCLEX outside of the US and Canada? That's great news for many....but will really make this process very competitive for all of us. The sooner you qualify and apply, the better. :(

Do you think it's possible to get a job offer when one is outside Canada?.... I keep reading that a lot of Canadian nurses are angry with this new system because they are having a hard time finding jobs.

~RVD

Dabas B

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
Yes starting Nov 2014 we can give exam through pearson centres which i think is available in every country.
As far as job part is concerned, you will need to raise your level by doing different short certificate courses.After clearing all this stuff atleast we can apply for jobs.

As far as my research goes, nurses are in huge demand. If this was not the case then they should not have converted CRNE to Nclex

Dabas B

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
But looking at the procedure they have which i have stated earlier, i dont think so many of the nurses will be interested because you need money plus so tough examination process plus a long time taking process to be an rn

htcjmd

Star Member
Aug 25, 2011
Delhi, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016
IELTS Request
Sent with initial file
Hello I am a nurse... Have already started my nursing license process by Ontario board....they have given me additional courses but on the other hand they gave me eligibility to write RPN exam ( a step less than RN)....

I will try my hands on express entry.

Dabas B

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
Hi htc

Good to hear on your progress. Do you hold diploma or degree in nursing and have you done NNAS formalities

htcjmd

Star Member
Aug 25, 2011
Delhi, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016
IELTS Request
Sent with initial file
I hold degree...nursing board has given me additional courses.....but I am eligible to write RPN.....exam.

htcjmd

Star Member
Aug 25, 2011
Delhi, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016
IELTS Request
Sent with initial file
Nnas has come into action now....my file started way before.

Dabas B

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
I hold 3.5 yr diploma n a degree. Do i have to also go through the additional courses
What kind of courses they have given you

htcjmd

Star Member
Aug 25, 2011
Delhi, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016
IELTS Request
Sent with initial file
Most likely u need to appear for a practical exam...called osce...if u applying to Ontario....after appearing for test if you clear exam..you can write rn exam.... Otherwise need to do... Bridging courses...

Dabas B

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
What is your view on whole process to become RN or RPN from here
And whats your scoring in Express entry

htcjmd

Star Member
Aug 25, 2011
Delhi, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016
IELTS Request
Sent with initial file
dont know about scoring....but its gonna be tough for nurses to make it in express entry....without license no employer would hire us