+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Non-accompanying children

Chunwing

Dec 27, 2010
I've read so many posts here and found here a great website, appreciation must be given to some active members who contribute to the success of this website. Though, I still get confused when I am filling up the forms.

I am a naturalized Canadian citizen. I got married with my wife who is not a Canadian in 1995. We now live and work in Hong Kong. We have two children, 7 & 9 respectively, who have already got the Canadian citizenship by descent.

1. When filling up the form IMM1344A E (Application To Sponsor And Undertaking), I know my children won't be considered as accompanying dependent children (thank to the info given in this forum), but do I still have to enter my children in Question 4 of Section C, that is for non-accompanying family members of the person being sponsored?

2. When filling up the IMM5481E (Sponsorship Evaluation), do I have to count them for Question 6B? It is read as the following,

"Every other family member not included above and dependent on you financially, whether they are living with you or not. Enter their number in the box on the right and provide details on the back of this page"

Thanks for any reply to my question.

Regards,
Chun Wing

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They are not accompanying or non-accompanying in the application itself because they already have citizenship but they should be considered on the 2nd form as financially dependent.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
They are not to even be INCLUDED on forms IMM0008 and IMM1344 because they are Canadian citizens - but you do include them in 6B of form IMM5481, and your wife includes them as her children on IMM5406 - Additional Family Information.

holmz20

Dec 28, 2010
Thanks guys for the answers. I was in the same situation and was going to have my medical exam taken for my wife this week. Since both my children (age 1 and 4) are canadian citizens by descent , I wouldnt have to have a medical exam done for them as well right?
I would hate to mess up and drive back an hour and a half to have their exams taken later.
Thanks in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right, the Canadian citizen children do not need a medical exam. Have you registered them with the embassy as Canadian citizens though, do you have their citizenship cards and passports? If not, you can work on that too.

holmz20

Dec 28, 2010
Thanks Leon. Just submitted FBI fingerprints through mail and came back. My kids have US passports and Canadian citizenship cards. The Canadian citizenship cards were recently issued through the embassy so not sure if they are registered with the embassy or not. I am not sure how to register with the embassy for my kids or myself for that matter, if you can advise that would be great.

Canadian passports i figure they have US passports and canadian passports will expire anyways without any use for me.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ideally they should also have Canadian passports since the citizenship card is not a travel document. I am sure Canada immigration would still let them in though. As US citizens, they are visa exempt anyway but it is kind of misrepresenting yourself if you are Canadian to arrive at the border with a US passport because then you are implying that you are coming as a tourist which you are not. As far as I have heard, the Canada border is not very strict on this but the other way around, as US citizens, they are absolutely required to have and use a US passport every time they enter the US.

holmz20

Dec 28, 2010
Thanks Leon. I have US passports for both of them and thats what they travel to Canada with twice a year so far. I will also make canadian passports in future and figure out how to register them with the canadian embassy.