+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about marriage and expedited timetables

Aug 8, 2010
If this question is in the wrong forum, or has been answered before, I sincerely apologize, and would hope that it will be moved to the right forum with a redirect so that I can find it later.

I will be marrying a Canadian woman in September. She will return to Canada, and I will return to my home in the U.S., to begin the finalization of my being here, before joining her early next year. My question is... will us being married be enough cause for my permanent residency status to be pushed through in a faster time?

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There's no such thing as expedited processing. As a Canadian, she can visit you in the U.S., and if you are a citizen or PR of the U.S., you can visit her in Canada.

Aug 8, 2010
Does the same apply for visas then? I am looking to have completed my personal training certification requirements in a few months, and wanted to move up by February. If PR status is still in the works, will I be limited in how long I can be there?

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
Spouse applications are processed ahead of other members of the family class except for dependant children. In effect you already are in the fast track for processing.

Aug 8, 2010
frolic said:
Spouse applications are processed ahead of other members of the family class except for dependant children. In effect you already are in the fast track for processing.
So should I apply under that class now, identifying a future marriage date, or wait until we actually are married?

And how long would I be looking at this taking? Could it be done by February, if say I applied tomorrow?

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gaoshang Xiongshou said:
So should I apply under that class now, identifying a future marriage date, or wait until we actually are married?
If you are not a spouse or common-law or conjugal partner of a Canadian citizen or PR, you are not a member of the family class. Don't apply before/unless you are a member of the family class.

And how long would I be looking at this taking? Could it be done by February, if say I applied tomorrow?
It wouldn't be unheard of, if you have no complicating factors, but you should make sure all of your paperwork is in order so that they don't have to ask for anything else.

umar fayyaz

Sep 17, 2010
Can one do a telephone marriage to a canadian citizen from Uk to canada both on the phone, will that be accepted for visa to canada or not.

umar fayyaz

Sep 17, 2010
Gaoshang Xiongshou said:
If this question is in the wrong forum, or has been answered before, I sincerely apologize, and would hope that it will be moved to the right forum with a redirect so that I can find it later.

I will be marrying a Canadian woman in September. She will return to Canada, and I will return to my home in the U.S., to begin the finalization of my being here, before joining her early next year. My question is... will us being married be enough cause for my permanent residency status to be pushed through in a faster time?
Can one do a telephone marriage to a canadian citizen from Uk to canada both on the phone, will that be accepted for visa to canada or not. I mean Islamic Nikaah over the phone will that be accepted when you apply.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

quote author=umar fayyaz link=topic=50104.msg440700#msg440700 date=1285770233]
Can one do a telephone marriage to a canadian citizen from Uk to canada both on the phone, will that be accepted for visa to canada or not.
[/quote]

No, it is not recognized in the UK so it wouldn't be a valid marriage.

umar fayyaz

Sep 17, 2010
Thanks for the reply.

Can a canadian come to uk and get married or does she need a certificate of approval to get married bearing in mind Certificate of Approval is finishing Jan or Feb next year.

will there be any problems with the visa if i am here on student visa and my visa ends in April next year.

should i be better off applying and getting married in UK or pakistan