+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about marital status on COPR & landing

Tom1144

Oct 6, 2016
Hi everyone,

So I'm nearly at the end: I have my COPR in hand and I plan on leaving and reentering the country to land next week.

My concern is that I got married (to a Canadian) close to the end of the processing of my application, and while I updated them by mail and with a phone call and document upload before my COPR was issued, my COPR still listed me as "single" when I got it. It says to update the CIC immediately with any changes to marital status, but I had already done this, and now I want to make sure I'm not screwing anything up for when I land. I know the easy solution is to call again anyway, but I tried that a couple times and couldn't get through.

A couple details worth listing:
-As mentioned, my spouse is Canadian, and is not included on this application (she is not sponsoring me, nor am I sponsoring her)
-When I called just before my COPR was issued, the person on the phone didn't seem concerned when I specified my spouse is Canadian
-When I received the letter from the CIC just before my my COPR was issued, it asked me to inform them of any changes to my marital status, and that's when I responded via mail with copies of her passport and our consecration of marriage slip.
-Our marriage license hasn't finished processing yet (takes 4 months or so) so what we have is the consecration of marriage slip mentioned above, which I sent a copy of. My best guess for why they haven't changed my status - if it's not human error - is because the official license isn't available yet, and since she's Canadian it doesn't matter anyway.

Anyway, does it sound like I'm good to land? Or should I spend this week trying to get someone at the CIC on the phone to verify?

Thanks,
Tom

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Hey Tom,

First off congrats on your COPR and your marriage.

Secondly if I were you I would sort this out first before I land. Here are some steps that you can take if you really want to land and give it a go:
- Gather all your questions on a piece of paper, call CIC and explain the situation and ask your questions, write down the answers as said over the phone
- Mark the exact time you get connected to CIC over the phone
- Mark the agent number and name if possible, they usually go by numbers but some of them give out names too
- Call another agent at a different time, just to double check the answers - make notes of the call again
- If they didn't show any concern, do your flagpole, drive to the border with all your documents, including your phone call record and explain the situation, say that you have already spoken to agents and they have shown you a green flag!
These are of course if you want to land with your current COPR status. If your COPR is not acceptable they will walk you back in and let you sort your COPR first, they would not reject your PR application or deny you entry, unless you have misrepresented your case, which in your case is not true, so don't be afraid. It's an experiment if you will!

On the other hand as I mentioned, you are better off changing your status on your COPR first, personally I will do that if you have time. I don't think it was because of your marriage licence that you got the single status! I think it was either human error, or it does not make any difference to your application. So try to contact them back and forth and make sure you are good to go, either with your current COPR information or and updated one. Couple of more weeks of waiting time to correct the info on your COPR is worth the headache.

Best of luck mate,

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Tom1144 said:
My concern is that I got married (to a Canadian) close to the end of the processing of my application, and while I updated them by mail and with a phone call and document upload before my COPR was issued, my COPR still listed me as "single" when I got it.

Anyway, does it sound like I'm good to land? Or should I spend this week trying to get someone at the CIC on the phone to verify?
Go for your landing. Carry proof of your spouse's Canadian citizenship and the marriage. Explain to the CBSA officer that you updated IRCC in every possible way about the marriage but the COPR was still issued as single. They should be able to see that in the system and correct your COPR during the landing.

Reactions: jes_ON

Tom1144

Oct 6, 2016
Thanks everyone! I think I'll try to call this week but not let it get in the way of trying if I can't get a hold of someone.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I agree with Canuck, call centre agents will often give dubious advice. In any case, the real concern about change in family status is if you have to add a family member to your application.

I agree with Canuck, go ahead and land, there will be little interest in your spouse because she is already Canadian and would not have to be added to your application. Bring proof (if you can) of your communication to IRCC about your marriage, be straight with the border agent, as well as any proof you have of the marriage and citizenship (heck, bring your wife with you if you can). It will not be an issue.

momoko

Mar 9, 2018
Hi Tom,

I meet the same problem. I've contacted CIC agents for several times, but their answers were different. I am confused.
so, how did you solve this problem? Did you land before you corrected your CoPR? How long you get your PRcard?

Thanks a lot!

Poija

Oct 14, 2018
Hi everyone,

So I'm nearly at the end: I have my COPR in hand and I plan on leaving and reentering the country to land next week.

My concern is that I got married (to a Canadian) close to the end of the processing of my application, and while I updated them by mail and with a phone call and document upload before my COPR was issued, my COPR still listed me as "single" when I got it. It says to update the CIC immediately with any changes to marital status, but I had already done this, and now I want to make sure I'm not screwing anything up for when I land. I know the easy solution is to call again anyway, but I tried that a couple times and couldn't get through.

-As mentioned, my spouse is Canadian, and is not included on this application (she is not sponsoring me, nor am I sponsoring her)
-When I called just before my COPR was issued, the person on the phone didn't seem concerned when I specified my spouse is Canadian
-When I received the letter from the CIC just before my my COPR was issued, it asked me to inform them of any changes to my marital status, and that's when I responded via mail with copies of her passport and our consecration of marriage slip.
-Our marriage license hasn't finished processing yet (takes 4 months or so) so what we have is the consecration of marriage slip mentioned above, which I sent a copy of. My best guess for why they haven't changed my status - if it's not human error - is because the official license isn't available yet, and since she's Canadian it doesn't matter anyway.

Thanks,
Tom
Hey Tom
I am in exacr same situation. I goty copr in march. I applied as single but got married in December. My husband is Canadian pr. He is not sponsoring me. I got my copr and it mentions that i am single Eventhough I updated ircc about my marriage . I don't know what should i do. Please let me know what you did with your application... And what reply you got please help.

Sona059

Aug 18, 2022
Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Tom
I am in the same situation, can you please let me know what happened? Did you land or got it corrected?

Sona059

Aug 18, 2022
Hey Tom
I am in exacr same situation. I goty copr in march. I applied as single but got married in December. My husband is Canadian pr. He is not sponsoring me. I got my copr and it mentions that i am single Eventhough I updated ircc about my marriage . I don't know what should i do. Please let me know what you did with your application... And what reply you got please help.
I am facing the same situation, can you please tell me should I land or get it corrected?

Sona059

Aug 18, 2022
Hey Tom
Hey can you please update me about the same?