+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about leaving Canada after submitting a PR application

licorize

Jul 27, 2015
Greetings! I am an American citizen applying for PR in Canada and plan on sending my application next week. I recently got engaged to my fiance/sponsor, but we are applying as common law so I don't have to wait until our wedding to apply.
Here's the issue.... I've been in Canada since January and used a visitor extension to do so legally. I've been afraid to leave because when I crossed in January I had issues at the border and was denied entry (but was let in the next day. The reason for the denial was because we were coming back from Christmas with my family and had a lot of stuff coming back, which caused them to believe I intended to stay longer than intended. The next day I was able to cross with no problem after unloading some things and crossing with less stuff... But it still spooked me.

My question is, is it safe to leave Canada to visit my family for American Thanksgiving? Like I said, we are engaged and submitting our PR application, but we likely won't be hearing back from CIC in time to have physical proof from them that we applied. I've been here for almost a year now, so I'm worried I won't be let back in. What should I bring when I cross the Canada border to make sure they let me back in? I intend to track the application and print confirmation that it's been delivered at the very least.

My visitor visa expires in December, but my other option is to just stay and apply for another extension, while using wedding planning as a reason for staying (which is also legitimatly why I feel I have to be able to get back in if I leave).

Any advice or suggestions would help greatly. Thanks!

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
licorize said:
Greetings! I am an American citizen applying for PR in Canada and plan on sending my application next week. I recently got engaged to my fiance/sponsor, but we are applying as common law so I don't have to wait until our wedding to apply.
Here's the issue.... I've been in Canada since January and used a visitor extension to do so legally. I've been afraid to leave because when I crossed in January I had issues at the border and was denied entry (but was let in the next day. The reason for the denial was because we were coming back from Christmas with my family and had a lot of stuff coming back, which caused them to believe I intended to stay longer than intended. The next day I was able to cross with no problem after unloading some things and crossing with less stuff... But it still spooked me.

My question is, is it safe to leave Canada to visit my family for American Thanksgiving? Like I said, we are engaged and submitting our PR application, but we likely won't be hearing back from CIC in time to have physical proof from them that we applied. I've been here for almost a year now, so I'm worried I won't be let back in. What should I bring when I cross the Canada border to make sure they let me back in? I intend to track the application and print confirmation that it's been delivered at the very least.

My visitor visa expires in December, but my other option is to just stay and apply for another extension, while using wedding planning as a reason for staying (which is also legitimatly why I feel I have to be able to get back in if I leave).

Any advice or suggestions would help greatly. Thanks!
In Canada applications are generally recommended not to leave, because the CBSA can refuse the applicant re-entry. CIC can consider the case abandoned if this happens. That said, you could bring your receipts that you have/will get when you pay for the PR application(s) and you could also bring with you the paperwork (a copy) and a courier receipt (you should always use a courier ;) ) to prove that they have received it. At least then you could show that you are aware of the process, and you are doing the right thing...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
licorize said:
Hi

You should be fine. CBSA is generally very lenient with people who have applied for PR, as it shows that you are following the rules to live in Canada properly. Remember that you are just going to be visiting your partner while your PR app processes, not living here.

Carry proof of finances, the PR fee receipt and your courier tracking. You may be able to access ECAS or MyCIC by that time; if you can, you could print the status pages from there to have as well.

profiler said:
In Canada applications are generally recommended not to leave, because the CBSA can refuse the applicant re-entry. CIC can consider the case abandoned if this happens.
OP is applying outland.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
canuck_in_uk said:
OP is applying outland.
Oh.. in the thread "in Canada" was stated. Good catch!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The short answer is that there's nothing you can do to 100% guarantee you will be allowed in. Chances are very high you'll be allowed back in. However if you want to avoid all risk of being refused entry - your only option is to stay and forget the trip outside of Canada.