08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........
January 14, 2017. Praise God!
Hi all,

IRCC requested my passport yesterday and they received it today! I'm now just waiting for them to finalize the process and send it back to me :D

I have a question for you: I am currently living in Nevada (USA) on a work visa that expires in July. If I receive my CoPR in November, I understand that I'd have to land by February or so. Looking into it, I think I want to move to Ottawa; however, would I be able to land up in Vancouver (I think it's the nearest PoE for me), give a friend's Canadian address for the PR card, and then come back to the US to finish my project? I don't know if I can leave the country before receiving the PR card. If it's a problem, I could always ask if my company would let me finish my project remotely in Canada.

Please advise?

Thanks in advance!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I thought Coutts AB is the nearest POE because of Interstate highway 15 N!

VictorCA

Oct 28, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-Nov-2015
Doc's Request.
09-Mar-2016
AOR Received.
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........
Oh, I had never heard of Coutts, AB haha. In any way, though, if I can just land to become an official PR and then come back to the US, I think I would just go to wherever I can find the cheapest flight. If this is not possible, then that would be a different issue. I'd probably just go land in ON, since I plan to move to Ottawa.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
VictorCA said:
Hi all,

IRCC requested my passport yesterday and they received it today! I'm now just waiting for them to finalize the process and send it back to me :D

I have a question for you: I am currently living in Nevada (USA) on a work visa that expires in July. If I receive my CoPR in November, I understand that I'd have to land by February or so. Looking into it, I think I want to move to Ottawa; however, would I be able to land up in Vancouver (I think it's the nearest PoE for me), give a friend's Canadian address for the PR card, and then come back to the US to finish my project? I don't know if I can leave the country before receiving the PR card. If it's a problem, I could always ask if my company would let me finish my project remotely in Canada.

Please advise?

Thanks in advance!
unless you are a provincial nominee or planning to live in quebec, it doesn't matter which province you land at. so assuming neither of those apply to you, yes, you can land in either vancouver or in ontario somewhere then move to where you plan to live. at your landing, the CBSA officer will ask for a canadian address to send the PR card to. it can not be sent outside of canada. so if you only plan to do a "short landing", you can give an address of a friend or family member in canada, and they can mail it to you wherever you are. So technically, yes you can leave canada without your PR card.

on a side note, I would not recommend telling the CBSA officer of your plans to leave shortly after, as we have heard cases where landing was denied because the person was not "ready" to be PR. CBSA does not need to know about your plans, they need to know the answers to the questions they ask. so only answer what they ask, and don't elaborate. keep it simple.

also, it is impossible to determine exactly how long your COPR will be valid for. it depends on the length of your processing and can also depend on the 1 year anniversary date of your medical exam or your passport validity date. so you may find you have more time than expected, or you may find you have less.

Ottawa is a great city to settle in. If you do come to Ottawa, I'd recommend reaching out to OCISO. It is the local immigrant service organization and they have great resources/referrals for newcomers.

VictorCA

Oct 28, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-Nov-2015
Doc's Request.
09-Mar-2016
AOR Received.
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........
Thank you, CDNPR2014! That's just what I needed. I'm ready to be a PR today haha but I would like to finish my project in the US if possible. But that's a good idea, I won't share more information than I have to. And no, I'm not a Provincial Nominee, I'm an FSW. I do have friends in BC, AB, and ON, so giving the CBSA a Canadian address shouldn't be an issue. I just wanted to confirm if I could leave the country after landing and before receiving my PRC.

Speaking of the questions the CBSA officer will ask, I know this is off-topic, but what kind of questions should I expect?

And that's also interesting about the validity of the CoPR. I had seen that the average from other posts was about 3 months, so that's why I thought that would be the case. I took my meds back in January, so my CoPR probably won't be valid after that, since those are only valid for a year. Speaking of the CoPR, can I start applying for jobs with it or do I need to wait until I have a Social Insurance Number?

Thanks very much for the OCISO tip. I'll check it out for sure!

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
VictorCA said:
Thank you, CDNPR2014! That's just what I needed. I'm ready to be a PR today haha but I would like to finish my project in the US if possible. But that's a good idea, I won't share more information than I have to. And no, I'm not a Provincial Nominee, I'm an FSW. I do have friends in BC, AB, and ON, so giving the CBSA a Canadian address shouldn't be an issue. I just wanted to confirm if I could leave the country after landing and before receiving my PRC.

Speaking of the questions the CBSA officer will ask, I know this is off-topic, but what kind of questions should I expect?

And that's also interesting about the validity of the CoPR. I had seen that the average from other posts was about 3 months, so that's why I thought that would be the case. I took my meds back in January, so my CoPR probably won't be valid after that, since those are only valid for a year. Speaking of the CoPR, can I start applying for jobs with it or do I need to wait until I have a Social Insurance Number?

Just to add to what you've mentioned and asked. I was in a similar situation to you on a 'short landing', the CBSA officer asked how long I'd be there and I said two weeks, he was find for me to activate my PR but would allow me to have my card sent to a friends address as I wouldn't be there. instead he gave me a change of address form. as long as you change your address within 180 of your original landing date they will still send it to you without you having to make a whole new PR card application.

If you don't have your PR card to re-enter Canada, you'll need to apply for a PR Travel Document in the US so that you can get back into Canada, without it they may not let you in or sometimes even get on the plane.

The questions are very simple and if you look at your COPR he will just go through it with you e.g. have you got a criminal record, how many dependents do you have it's not tough.

Finally, you can apply for jobs without a SIN, but when you land officially go and sort it out.

Good luck

VictorCA

Oct 28, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-Nov-2015
Doc's Request.
09-Mar-2016
AOR Received.
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........
Thank you, COPRQuestion, very useful. I guess my decision will depend on how long I have to land before my CoPR expires and whether or not my job will allow me to work remotely from Canada. The last thing I would do is lie to the CBSA officer, so if he/she asks me upfront how long I'll be in the country, I'll be honest and explain my situation. I'm sure their response will be similar to what they told you. I see you landed just last month (congratulations, by the way!).

Thanks also for the tip about looking at my CoPR in preparation for the officer's questions. That sounds simple enough.

And that sounds great about the SIN. I'll start looking for jobs as soon as I have my CoPR.

Thanks again for your help!

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
VictorCA said:
Thank you, COPRQuestion, very useful. I guess my decision will depend on how long I have to land before my CoPR expires and whether or not my job will allow me to work remotely from Canada. The last thing I would do is lie to the CBSA officer, so if he/she asks me upfront how long I'll be in the country, I'll be honest and explain my situation. I'm sure their response will be similar to what they told you. I see you landed just last month (congratulations, by the way!).

Thanks also for the tip about looking at my CoPR in preparation for the officer's questions. That sounds simple enough.

And that sounds great about the SIN. I'll start looking for jobs as soon as I have my CoPR.

Thanks again for your help!
No worries at all, in fact I'm not back in Canada yet, I'm still in Hong Kong. We're making the official move in February, I'm waiting for my PRTD to be approved. Once that's done I'll change my address with CIC so my PR Card can be sent to my friend. then I can pick it up when I arrive.

VictorCA

Oct 28, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-Nov-2015
Doc's Request.
09-Mar-2016
AOR Received.
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........
Oh, I see. That makes a lot of sense...if my PR card can't be sent to a friend's address, then I may just land for good and cancel my US work visa. I'd rather start my life as a PR in Canada than keep being a temporary worker in the US!

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
VictorCA said:
Oh, I see. That makes a lot of sense...if my PR card can't be sent to a friend's address, then I may just land for good and cancel my US work visa. I'd rather start my life as a PR in Canada than keep being a temporary worker in the US!
well good luck with whatever course you decide to take

VictorCA

Oct 28, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-Nov-2015
Doc's Request.
09-Mar-2016
AOR Received.
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........
Thanks again for all your help, and good luck to you as well in February!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
VictorCA said:

yes, you can leave after landing and before receiving your PR card.

I was sponsored by my spouse, so the landing experience may be different for FSW. Generally, the questions CBSA will ask are written on your COPR. CIC also has the ability to extend your medicals to help you land. For spousal sponsorship, the COPR date is usually aligned with the 1 year anniversary of the medical or 6 months from the date the COPR was issued.

you can apply for jobs whenever you want. you can't start working until you have your SIN #

COPRQuestion said:
If you don't have your PR card to re-enter Canada, you'll need to apply for a PR Travel Document in the US so that you can get back into Canada, without it they may not let you in or sometimes even get on the plane.

Good luck
this is true for most people, except for US citizens. since i'm not sure of the citizenship of the op, i'm not sure if a PRTD will apply. Also a PRTD is not required when driving a private vehicle through a land border, it is only required when traveling commercially, and i think it's only for traveling by air. Generally, when driving in a personal vehicle, you can use either the PR card OR your COPR & passport to enter canada.

sanketmnaik

Feb 10, 2016
Hi,
I need your help!
I am a FSW holder, and gonna land for the 1st time this April.
I bought a connecting flight, which means I will first land in Montreal and have a stay of 2h40m there and then fly to my final destination ottawa, where I will be staying for the rest of my journey.

Unfortunately, right after flight booking, I got to know " If you first enter Canada at a port of entry in the Province of Quebec, you must have been accepted by Quebec and have a valid Quebec Certificate of Selection or be prepared to document your clear intention to reside in a province other than Quebec.
So my questions would be :
1. Must I go through my first-landing procedure in Montreal?
2. Are there any risks that I get rejected at Montreal simply because I have nothing but a fight ticket to ottawa and an address of my friend where I am going to stay?
3. What are the other documents should I submit to prove my intention to reside in ottawa?
4. Who can I resort to if other problems arise?

Answers from you all will be deeply appreciated.
Thank you