+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about IMM5257

noobmoon

Star Member
May 1, 2012
Dear forum members

I am applying for TWP.
My spouse is applying for OWP.
We have dependent child under 18. I use the online system for applying. In the section for my child I am asked to upload IMM5257 as a form.
Now the form clearly states that it should be filled only if you are above 18 years old.
In the form there are two fields, one need to be checked:

*Indicate wheter you are:
The principal applicant
The spouse, common-law partner or dependent child aged 18 years or older of the principal applicant.

I checked the second choice and the system does not accept my application.

When I upload the same document for my spouse I checked the second choice and the system does not have problem accepting my application.

Am I doing something wrong?
Do I need to check: "The principal applicant"?
Maybe I don't need to upload this document at all coz my child is under 18?

noobmoon

Star Member
May 1, 2012
Clarification:

I was using form IMM5257B_1 (Shedule 1) instead I should you IMM5257 Application for Temporary Resident Visa ?

Need confirmation here!

About IMM5257 Application for Temporary Resident Visa , I have several question:

This is a visa for my dependent child under 2 yeras.

Details of visit to Canada

Purpose of my visit: Other (Need confirmation)
To 2016 - 01 - 01
(her passport is valid through 2015/06). Should To field be till 2015/06????
I applied for TWP and my spouse for OWP for as we choose From 2014-01-01 To: 2016 -01-01 because the job duration of my lmo is 24 months.. (What dates should I enter for my child???)

b) Other
I write: To accompany my parents in Canada
(This sound silly coz by child is baby and cannot wrote?????)

In section EMPLOYMENT

Current Activity/Occupation: Not Working (baby)
The same for Company/Employer/Facility Name and City/Town????
Is this correct?

Please anyone care to respond,because I only have a week or so till the validity of my LMO expires, so I need your help.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Already answered you on PM about IMM5257B, Schedule 1. However, i did not submit this online. If the online system is not accepting it for your daughter, then just leave this form out. For paper based submissions, we added it for all applicants, even those under 18.

Regarding IMM5257 - application for trv, your initial answers are fine.

Purpose of visit: Other is correct

B) Other - Accompanying parents (rather father is more appropriate because father is principle applicant, i did this as advised by my employer's lawyer from Canada)

Dates: Same as LMO validity and duration of employment. You already got that right. I have no idea what to do with passport's less validity in this case. But if i were you, i would indicate the intended length of stay i.e. LMO validity. Shortening length of stay because a child's passport is valid for lesser period doesnt make sense to me. I didn't have this problem because passports are valid for much longer.

In my form (paper based) there was a Q4. which said "Name, address and relationship of any person / institution i will visit". I wrote my employer's name and address even in my kids forms. There was a "relationship to me" field where i wrote "Father's employer"

Employment: Not applicable.

Finally Funds availabe for my stay: "Write your annual salary as committed in the job offer from Canada here"

noobmoon said:
Clarification:

I was using form IMM5257B_1 (Shedule 1) instead I should you IMM5257 Application for Temporary Resident Visa ?

Need confirmation here!

About IMM5257 Application for Temporary Resident Visa , I have several question:

This is a visa for my dependent child under 2 yeras.

Details of visit to Canada

Purpose of my visit: Other (Need confirmation)
To 2016 - 01 - 01
(her passport is valid through 2015/06). Should To field be till 2015/06????
I applied for TWP and my spouse for OWP for as we choose From 2014-01-01 To: 2016 -01-01 because the job duration of my lmo is 24 months.. (What dates should I enter for my child???)

b) Other
I write: To accompany my parents in Canada
(This sound silly coz by child is baby and cannot wrote?????)

In section EMPLOYMENT

Current Activity/Occupation: Not Working (baby)
The same for Company/Employer/Facility Name and City/Town????
Is this correct?

Please anyone care to respond,because I only have a week or so till the validity of my LMO expires, so I need your help.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Just to make sure once again, since you don't seem to be clear about both forms.

IMM5257E - the' E' might show on the pdf saved file's name (i.e. NOT THE SCHEDULE 1) is the primary temp resident visa application form. This is to be submitted by those applying for Visit purpose only. You and your wife won't submit this since you are using the temp work permit form instead. However, for your daughter, you need to submit this form since she is primarily being applied for visit visa of multiple entry.

IMM5257B schedule 1 is the form to be submitted for all 3 of you. In case the online system doesn't accept it for your daughter because she is less than 18, ONLY THEN leave it for her and still submit the same for each of yourself and spouse.

Hoping that clarifies all of your concerns. Just submit your case now :) Feel free to PM if you still have any other questions.

Saeed.snfa

Sep 23, 2018
I have a some similar questions.
I am applying for study and my wife is applying for open work permit.
Now, I want to know I should fill this form 5257 for my under 1 year daughter? and how?
Purpose of visit: Other is correct?
Other - Accompanying parents?

I have no idea about that question "Name, address and relationship of any person / institution i will visit"
and also available funds?

rahulbharath

Mar 16, 2018
Hi guys,

I am really new to this so please help. My wife and I are PRs. baby born in India. I need to apply for TRV for her first and then get her here for applying for PR. please tell me if am doing the right thing.

1. Create GCKEY in her name
2. Apply for a profile separately and pay for it
3. Upload documents for her profile

For IMM 5257 form for her profile, what do i fill? there will be no accompanying adults in her form. She is the only person who is coming, and she is a baby. Her mother is a PR. who signs on the IMM 5257?

any help is appreciated. thanks

Pari67

Aug 6, 2019
Hi,

I have some questions regarding the IMM 5257E. I want to apply for study permit and my spouse will be in my accompany. What should I choose as a " detail of visit to Canada" for my husband? Moreover, please help me with filling out duration and name, address and relationships of person that he will visit. Please note my study permit would be issued for 4-5 years (PhD level).

Thank you so much.

RTN

Dec 15, 2019
Hi, i am filling up the IMM5257 of my son, who is three years old. What do I put under EMPLOYMENT section since he has not even started school yet?

Praytent

Dec 16, 2021
Hi everyone,
My husband is applying for a spousal open work permit from outside Canada and will be coming along with our three children all under 18 years.
Please I need help with the following:
Is it ok to put in the children as Visitors since they have not been admitted into any school (requirement for study permit)?
Are we to fill Schedule 1 form since its for 18 and above? (It was provided)

Thanks for your help

bella.mm

Nov 28, 2023
Hi everyone,

Kid is 6 years old with mother applying for student permit and father open work permit. Does kid need TRV or apply as a student?