+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about IMM 0008 please help asap!!

Tombell1997

Dec 4, 2020
Hi, please I'm confused about the wording on form IMM 0008 (applying for international graduate stream opening may 6th)

"You must list all family members in your application for permanent residence, whether they are accompanying you to Canada or not. You must also provide details on family members who's location is unknown (including those missing or pressured dead). IF YOU DONT, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SPONSOR FAMILY MEMBERS AT A LATER DATE IF THEY'RE NOT LISTED ON YOUR APPLICATION"

my question is about the last part, my girlfriend and I have only been living together for 6 months, so she doesn't qualify as a common law partner yet, if I don't include her in my application, does that mean I won't be able to sponsor her as a common law at a later date after I get my PR?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi, please I'm confused about the wording on form IMM 0008 (applying for international graduate stream opening may 6th)

"You must list all family members in your application for permanent residence, whether they are accompanying you to Canada or not. You must also provide details on family members who's location is unknown (including those missing or pressured dead). IF YOU DONT, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SPONSOR FAMILY MEMBERS AT A LATER DATE IF THEY'RE NOT LISTED ON YOUR APPLICATION"

my question is about the last part, my girlfriend and I have only been living together for 6 months, so she doesn't qualify as a common law partner yet, if I don't include her in my application, does that mean I won't be able to sponsor her as a common law at a later date after I get my PR?
You fill in the form with information according to the signed date of the application. So currently she is NOT your common law spouse.

If your applicant is not complete when you reach 12 month of cohabitation, then you need to inform IRCC and update all the required forms and document to add her to be your common law partner. If you get approve and become PR before your reach living together for 12 month, you can landed as single and then apply to sponsor her once she becomes your common law partner.

Tombell1997

Dec 4, 2020
R
You fill in the form with information according to the signed date of the application. So currently she is NOT your common law spouse.

If your applicant is not complete when you reach 12 month of cohabitation, then you need to inform IRCC and update all the required forms and document to add her to be your common law partner. If you get approve and become PR before your reach living together for 12 month, you can landed as single and then apply to sponsor her once she becomes your common law partner.
Right so I don't need to add her name as a family member right now in order to submit my application since by definition she's not a common law? And I'll be able to sponsor her after I get my pr and meet the 12 months cohabitation requirement?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
R

Right so I don't need to add her name as a family member right now in order to submit my application since by definition she's not a common law? And I'll be able to sponsor her after I get my pr and meet the 12 months cohabitation requirement?
That is if you get PR and landed BEFORE the 12 months which means in less than 6 months time??
I really doubt any PR application will go this fast. The more likely case is when you applicantion is still being process or even at final stage, you need to add her to the application once you reach the 12 months period. It may "slow down" your approval because of additional information and things like medical..etc. But this is the tricky point, if you do not add her, then you will never be able to sponsor her later once you got PR.

Tombell1997

Dec 4, 2020
That is if you get PR and landed BEFORE the 12 months which means in less than 6 months time??
I really doubt any PR application will go this fast. The more likely case is when you applicantion is still being process or even at final stage, you need to add her to the application once you reach the 12 months period. It may "slow down" your approval because of additional information and things like medical..etc. But this is the tricky point, if you do not add her, then you will never be able to sponsor her later once you got PR.
Thank you for getting back to me
What if I start counting the common law 12 months requirement after I get my pr then? Would I be able to sponsor her normally? Or we can leave separately until I get my pr then start the 12 months cohabitation all over again, will I be able to sponsor here if I don't include her name right now

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you for getting back to me
What if I start counting the common law 12 months requirement after I get my pr then? Would I be able to sponsor her normally? Or we can leave separately until I get my pr then start the 12 months cohabitation all over again, will I be able to sponsor here if I don't include her name right now
You cannot decide WHEN to start counting. You need to start counting when you first moved in together.

You can move out now... if that's what you really want and it seems a bit dramatic because of immigration.
What's the problem with adding her/him in during the process?