+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about IEC and health insurance...

Zeppo595

Jun 9, 2018
Hello,

I'm from the UK, living in Japan and moving to Canada next year with IEC working holiday visa.

I read many people here say you need 2 years insurance. However, I was under the assumption the permit was only for one year? What's that about?

Also, I'm not eligible for True Traveller due to living abroad for a long time. Do you have any other recommendations?

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I'm from the UK, living in Japan and moving to Canada next year with IEC working holiday visa.

I read many people here say you need 2 years insurance. However, I was under the assumption the permit was only for one year? What's that about?

Also, I'm not eligible for True Traveller due to living abroad for a long time. Do you have any other recommendations?

Thank you!
The IEC is 2 years for those from the UK. You must show that you have insurance coverage for the full 2 year period when you arrive in Canada in order to be granted the full duration of the work permit.

Unfortunately I can't help with your second question.

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
Hello,

Thank you!
When is your tentative date to depart for Canada? There are other insurance companies which cover for IEC. PM me, we can have a chat in detail.

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
Hello,
Thank you!
As a UK citizen you are eligible for a trip to Canada for up to 24 months through IEC/Working Holiday program. If you are planning to stay in Canada for 2 years (or you at least anticipate that you may end up staying 2 years) you will need to purchase an insurance policy for 2 years and be able to show proof of it at the border (in case a POE officer requests to see it).

Note that the total duration of your insurance may limit the duration of your allowed stay in Canada i.e. if you have an insurance for 1 year and you'd like to get a 2 year permit, you may only be issued a 1-year permit due to your insurance policy length.

You can get an instant personal quote and see available options from Canadian insurance providers here - IEC Insurance Quotes

Zeppo595

Jun 9, 2018
Thank you for the information.

Has anyone heard of destination canada? I just found them on best quote and wonder if they are reliable.

Thank you!

Zeppo595

Jun 9, 2018
Was also wondering how much insurance to get...20k? 50k? I just want the minimum amount to be saved from death in an accident.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Whatever insurance you get you must ensure it includes repatriation to your home country in case of a catastrophic medical condition requiring long term treatment or worst case death . Not easy to recommend an amount for coverage but 20/50k seem much too low given in theory something like a broken leg could eat up a lot of that so you can never have too much coverage and something like a major head trauma could even go into 6 figures. Going for the cheapest deal on travel insurance especially in North America never really a good idea.

Last edited: