+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about health coverage for my foreign spouse?

Diegof09

Star Member
Dec 28, 2015
I'm getting married in September and my wife (mexican ) is coming with me (Canadian citizen) to Saskatchewan! We are planning on applying for PR and OPW, my question is, in the meantime do I have to get private health insurance or is she gonna be cover because she is my spouse?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
But this one is more like when moving from province to province! I live in Saskatchewan and my spouse is coming to Canada with me on a tourist visa!
If you read it, there is a blurb about coming from a different country

Special Classes of Newcomers
If you are moving to Saskatchewan from outside of Canada, you may be eligible for Saskatchewan health coverage on, or before, the first day of the third month after arriving in Canada, if you are among one of the groups:

• Permanent residents (landed immigrants)
  • People discharged from the Canadian Forces
  • Non-immigrants who are in Canada in connection with their trade or profession
  • International students
  • Returning spouses of Canadian Forces members
  • Returning Canadian citizens
You should ask them if as a visitor she can apply for a health card, here in Ontario, being a visiting spouse of a Canadian does not get you OHIP but rules vary per province.

Reactions: Diegof09

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
I'm getting married in September and my wife (mexican ) is coming with me (Canadian citizen) to Saskatchewan! We are planning on applying for PR and OPW, my question is, in the meantime do I have to get private health insurance or is she gonna be cover because she is my spouse?
Yes, she will need private health coverage. I believe once she gets her OWP she can apply for provincial health care coverage though. I know in Manitoba you can.

Reactions: Diegof09