Star Member
Dec 2, 2016
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
21-04-2017
AOR Received.
19-05-2017
Hi, quick question about this question. Did a search but could not find any answers.
Question 7 states: Do your close friends, family and children know about your relationship? Yes / No
So we would put Yes, because pretty much everyone we know, knows about us.

It then asks to give details, stating: Family Name, Given name(s), Are they related to sponsor or principal applicant, relationship to sponsor or principal applicant, date they met sponsor or principal applicant.

What seems really confusing to us, is that all these columns say "sponsor or principal applicant" so it wouldn't be clear as to who we are referring to.

Where it says "Are they related to sponsor or principal applicant" would we say "Yes/No" or indicate "Sponsor" or "Principal Applicant".
Where it says "Relationship to sponsor or principal applicant" do we just randomly choose? I guess it would be obvious when referring to our parents.
For that same one, if we want to add mutual friends we had put "Friend of Both". Is that ok? or is there some other way we should word it?
For the last one "Date they met sponsor or principal applicant", again who should it refer to? Would we put the date I met her parents, or the date she met her parents (at birth) <-- that one seems like it makes no sense. For mutual friends, which date would we put? when I met that friend or when she did?

If anybody can shine any light on this, we would really appreciate it.
Thanks so much!

Reactions: qingyunlan

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
I see your confusion - not wonderfully clear.

For the 'related to' question, I would type 'PAs Mother' or 'Sponsors Mother' etc. I would do the same for 'Relationship'.

wan2no

Jan 20, 2012
:D this question is totally ridiculous! we are also confused about first meet date ? guys did u get any solutio? what did you print finally? we arealso on the way to submit application. plz expert give light on it.thanks

lookingforinfo

Star Member
Dec 2, 2016
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
21-04-2017
AOR Received.
19-05-2017
I have not found a proper solution to this yet, as we have not submitted our application. I feel like this is by far the most ambiguous part of this questionnaire.

mrs_kennedy16

Feb 15, 2017
My husband and I were in the same situation. Specially when it asks for the date when they met, I want to think that they won't ask me when I meet my parents or when he met his parents (for example)

Reactions: monkeys89

lookingforinfo

Star Member
Dec 2, 2016
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
21-04-2017
AOR Received.
19-05-2017
lookingforinfo said:
I have not found a proper solution to this yet, as we have not submitted our application. I feel like this is by far the most ambiguous part of this questionnaire.
That's kind of what I was thinking, as far as both parents go, but the question still remains for mutual friends.

lookingforinfo

Star Member
Dec 2, 2016
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
21-04-2017
AOR Received.
19-05-2017
any other insights? I guess I could try and find some contact info for CIC and see if they can help me out.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
lookingforinfo said:
Where it says "Are they related to sponsor or principal applicant" would we say "Yes/No" or indicate "Sponsor" or "Principal Applicant".
Where it says "Relationship to sponsor or principal applicant" do we just randomly choose? I guess it would be obvious when referring to our parents.
For that same one, if we want to add mutual friends we had put "Friend of Both". Is that ok? or is there some other way we should word it?
For the last one "Date they met sponsor or principal applicant", again who should it refer to? Would we put the date I met her parents, or the date she met her parents (at birth) <-- that one seems like it makes no sense. For mutual friends, which date would we put? when I met that friend or when she did?
Honestly, you are really overthinking this.

Indicate "Sponsor" or "PA".

"Sponsor's mother", "PA's best friend" etc.

"Friend to both" is fine if you both first met this person at the same time. Otherwise, indicate which of you met the friend first.

Well, of course they don't want the date her own parents met her. For mutual friends, if you met at the same time, there is only one date to put; if one of you knew the friend first, then you put the date that the OTHER one of you met them.

lookingforinfo

Star Member
Dec 2, 2016
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
21-04-2017
AOR Received.
19-05-2017
canuck_in_uk said:
Honestly, you are really overthinking this.

Indicate "Sponsor" or "PA".

"Sponsor's mother", "PA's best friend" etc.

"Friend to both" is fine if you both first met this person at the same time. Otherwise, indicate which of you met the friend first.

Well, of course they don't want the date her own parents met her. For mutual friends, if you met at the same time, there is only one date to put; if one of you knew the friend first, then you put the date that the OTHER one of you met them.
Most of the people on there are going to be mutual friends, but I met most of them before she did. You're saying I should just put whoever met that friend first? or whoever met that friend second?
I don't think any of the mutual friends would have been at the same time.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
lookingforinfo said:
Most of the people on there are going to be mutual friends, but I met most of them before she did. You're saying I should just put whoever met that friend first? or whoever met that friend second?
I don't think any of the mutual friends would have been at the same time.
If a person was your friend first, then indicate that and the date the friend met your partner.

lookingforinfo

Star Member
Dec 2, 2016
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
21-04-2017
AOR Received.
19-05-2017
I do appreciate the help, but Im not sure if I'm explaining it correctly. These aren't friends that I had and then I introduced her to them, or vice versa. The whole reason we met was because we made the same friends at different times through different mediums. So most of these people were both of our friends way before we even met each other. Which is what makes this part confusing for us.

Reactions: jptskt

viva-c

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Toronto, ON
lookingforinfo said:
I do appreciate the help, but Im not sure if I'm explaining it correctly. These aren't friends that I had and then I introduced her to them, or vice versa. The whole reason we met was because we made the same friends at different times through different mediums. So most of these people were both of our friends way before we even met each other. Which is what makes this part confusing for us.
Then these probably are not the best people to include on your application. This will be confusing for CIC when they review your dates. You should be including family and friends who previously only knew you, or only knew your spouse; then met you or your spouse SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE of your relationship. This is what CIC is expecting to see. It will confuse them if you include people who knew you both individually BEFORE your relationship. The point of this section is to prove that you have introduced each other to the important people in your life, so friends that already knew both of you do not count.

Reactions: Jeffuk88

lookingforinfo

Star Member
Dec 2, 2016
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
21-04-2017
AOR Received.
19-05-2017
What if those are the important people in our lives? This is what confuses me. These are the people that introduced us to each other, really good friends of both of us. I mean, I could put a few family members, and some co-workers, but I certainly wouldn't hold them as "important" as the people we want to put. If that's the better solution then I guess we'll just do that then.

viva-c

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Toronto, ON
lookingforinfo said:
What if those are the important people in our lives? This is what confuses me. These are the people that introduced us to each other, really good friends of both of us. I mean, I could put a few family members, and some co-workers, but I certainly wouldn't hold them as "important" as the people we want to put. If that's the better solution then I guess we'll just do that then.
The CIC doesn't know who is important to you, though. If you leave those people off, it will mean nothing to them. It is better to put information that will not potentially be confusing to CIC. Ultimately it's up to you, but that particular form/section of the application is designed to list people who were introduced to your spouse ~after~ you met them. You can try to list it in a way that's not confusing but I don't think it's worth it if you have other people who you can list.

lookingforinfo

Star Member
Dec 2, 2016
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
21-04-2017
AOR Received.
19-05-2017
ok fair enough. Thank you for the explanation. This definitely makes this section a little more straight forward now that we understand the purpose for it.

We appreciate the help!