+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

question about declaring goods during move

tcinto

Jul 28, 2021
Hi all -- I recently sponsored my mother for PR status, and she had her "soft landing" at Toronto Pearson airport last month. She'll be moving from the US in July. Here's my question: My cousin has kindly offered to do the move for her -- to drive her things across the border to her new address. The drive itself would be difficult for her, so I'm advising her to fly; she'd arrive maybe the day before my cousin crosses the border. Can I have her complete the BSF186 Personal Effects Accounting Document and give it to my cousin to take with him? Or does my mother need to meet my cousin at the border to clear the goods herself?
Thanks for any information about this.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi all -- I recently sponsored my mother for PR status, and she had her "soft landing" at Toronto Pearson airport last month. She'll be moving from the US in July. Here's my question: My cousin has kindly offered to do the move for her -- to drive her things across the border to her new address. The drive itself would be difficult for her, so I'm advising her to fly; she'd arrive maybe the day before my cousin crosses the border. Can I have her complete the BSF186 Personal Effects Accounting Document and give it to my cousin to take with him? Or does my mother need to meet my cousin at the border to clear the goods herself?
Thanks for any information about this.
I don't have any direct experience with your scenario - but we did do the bsf186.

Short form: I believe the process and procedures are intended for professional moving and shipping companies, those that do customs clearance regularly. It is NOT for the faint of heart.

I'd strongly recommend your mother instead fly to the nearest border crossing - buffalo or whatever - and be in the vehicle with your cousin and the belongings for the border crossing.

Again, I admit I could be wrong, but customs is an area that's not meant for amateurs.

tcinto

Jul 28, 2021
Thanks, Armoured. We'll look into that possibility -- and yes, Buffalo would probably be do-able for her.