+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about "Common-law partner" (Adaptability portion of CIC SE Test)

VGreer

Jun 1, 2006
My girlfriend and I are U.S. Citizens and we want to immigrate to Vancouver and eventually become Canadian citizens. We have been living together for over 6 years but we live in California, a state that doesn't recognize Common Law marraiges. So who defines wether or not we are common-law partners?

I'm asking because I think the only way I can pass the SE Test is if I'm able to list her as my common law partner or learn French, or get another bachelor's degree.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

VGreer said:
My girlfriend and I are U.S. Citizens and we want to immigrate to Vancouver and eventually become Canadian citizens. We have been living together for over 6 years but we live in California, a state that doesn't recognize Common Law marraiges. So who defines wether or not we are common-law partners?

I'm asking because I think the only way I can pass the SE Test is if I'm able to list her as my common law partner or learn French, or get another bachelor's degree.
If you have lived together for 1 year then you are considered c/law by Canada Immigration. see:

"5.34. Recognition of a common-law relationship
A common-law relationship is fact-based and exists from the day in which two individuals demonstrate that the relationship exists on the basis of the facts. The onus is on the applicants to prove that they are in a conjugal relationship and that they are cohabiting, having so cohabited for a period of at least one year, when the application is received. A common-law relationship is legally a de facto relationship, meaning that it must be established in each individual case, on the facts. This is in contrast to a marriage, which is legally a de jure
5.35. What is cohabitation?
“Cohabitation” means “living together.” Two people who are cohabiting have combined their affairs"

PMM