+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Common-Law and "Accompany you to Canada"

Discussion in 'International Students' started by user9292, Jul 14, 2019.

  1. Hi guys,

    I'm hoping you can help me with my situation. I will be moving to Canada in March 2020 to start an MBA program so I will be applying for a study permit. My girlfriend who I have been living with for more than a year (so we would be Common-Law) plans to come to Canada too but she will be on a working holiday visa (she's a Japanese citizen).

    How do I fill out the Family Information form specifically the "Accompany me to Canada" question? She will come with me to Canada but we will be financially independent as she will be traveling and working while I study.

    I'd really appreciate some insight!

  2. If she is planning on coming with you to Canada you have to answer yes. Spouses of international students aren’t guaranteed permits or visas but you can apply for SOWP.
  3. Hey,

    Just to give an update - “Common Law” has other aspects to it rather than merely loving together. I read about the conjugal relationship aspect and I don’t think we would qualify as common law under that definition. So that solves the issue!

    Thanks for the help!
  4. As she is applying on her own for a working holiday visa, she is not accompanying you.
  5. If you have been living together continuously for a year, you are common-law.

Share This Page