+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

question about citizenship certificate

johnposs

Jan 26, 2020
I recently found out that my biological father was born in Canada, and has dual citizenship (U.S., Canada). He lives in the U.S.. I found out he was my Father on Ancestery.com.
I want to get a citizenship certificate, but my biological father is not on my birth certificate. I would rather not change my fathers name on my birth certificate, as it would be hurtful to the father that raised me.
My question is can I prove my Canadian citizenship without changing my birth certificate? Is a DNA test acceptable for this type of thing, or is there another way to prove this? Thanks in advance for your help.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
I don't think you will need to have your birth certificate changed, but I think you will need to put down your biological father's name on your application and to include a thorough letter to explain why he is not on your birth certificate. A DNA test will all but certainly be ordered by them if your explanation is accepted. If not, then you will need to ask yourself what is more important: honoring the person who raised and loved you unconditionally, or Canadian citizenship?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

I don't think you will need to have your birth certificate changed, but I think you will need to put down your biological father's name on your application and to include a thorough letter to explain why he is not on your birth certificate. A DNA test will all but certainly be ordered by them if your explanation is accepted. If not, then you will need to ask yourself what is more important: honoring the person who raised and loved you unconditionally, or Canadian citizenship?
1/ Also if the OP was adopted by the "father" who raised him, then tie is probably cut from the biological father.

Reactions: zee90999

Domikys

Star Member
Jun 29, 2019
HI

I recently found out that my biological father was born in Canada, and has dual citizenship (U.S., Canada). He lives in the U.S.. I found out he was my Father on Ancestery.com.
I want to get a citizenship certificate, but my biological father is not on my birth certificate. I would rather not change my fathers name on my birth certificate, as it would be hurtful to the father that raised me.
My question is can I prove my Canadian citizenship without changing my birth certificate? Is a DNA test acceptable for this type of thing, or is there another way to prove this? Thanks in advance for your help.

If your biological fathers name is indicated in your live birth certificate then you have a good chance.

1/ Also if the OP was adopted by the "father" who raised him, then tie is probably cut from the biological father.
If your biological fathers name is indicated in your live birth certificate then you have a good chance...the birth certificate issued with your adoptive parents name is the amended birth certificate and make sure you also have the adoption court order.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
HI

Very true, but there are situations where the "adoptive" father would step in and say he is the biological father at the time of birth, thus his name would be listed as the father when the birth certificate is recorded by the hospital and state. Only the OP can clear that up and explain whether he was formally adopted by his non-biological father or if the situation I described happened. Since the OP did not say he was adopted, that is what I based my post on.

Domikys

Star Member
Jun 29, 2019
Very true, but there are situations where the "adoptive" father would step in and say he is the biological father at the time of birth, thus his name would be listed as the father when the birth certificate is recorded by the hospital and state. Only the OP can clear that up and explain whether he was formally adopted by his non-biological father or if the situation I described happened. Since the OP did not say he was adopted, that is what I based my post on.
Yes you are right....if the adoption was legal and adoption order was issued then he is good to go.

johnposs

Jan 26, 2020
I wasn't adopted. I found out about my biological father after taking a Ancestery DNA test. They matched me with him with " extremely high probability". The father that raised me didn't know, and either did I, or my biological father.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I wasn't adopted. I found out about my biological father after taking a Ancestery DNA test. They matched me with him with " extremely high probability". The father that raised me didn't know, and either did I, or my biological father.
That sucks.

As you were not adopted, the legal relationship with your biological father still exists and you can apply. You can try to apply with an LOE in place of the birth certificate; if IRCC accepts that, they will definitely require a formal DNA test. If they don't accept it, then as hawk39 said, you will have to make a choice regarding the birth certificate.