+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Citizenship by Descent

ic4l

Jan 31, 2017
My mother was born in 1957 in Canada.

She later became an American citizen, and produced me on US soil in 1988.

Am I or can I become Canadian by descent?

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
ic4l said:

Check this website with tool under the table: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules/

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
ic4l said:

Yes, you are Canadian by Descent. You can apply for Proof of Citizenship to get certificate.

ic4l

Jan 31, 2017
links18 said:
You are Canadian, unless your mother renounced Canadian citizenship before you were born.
She was a child when my grandparents moved from Canada to the US.

So would she still be considered Canadian?

ic4l

Jan 31, 2017
screech339 said:
Yes, you are Canadian by Descent. You can apply for Proof of Citizenship to get certificate.
What is confusing me is the 2009 / 2015 rules

"were born outside Canada to a Canadian parent, were not already a Canadian citizen or you had lost your citizenship in the past, and you were born in the second or subsequent generation (this includes people who failed to retain citizenship)."

My mother has a Canadian birth certificate but i don't know if she was ever a Canadian citizen, or is she automatically one because of birth place?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
ic4l said:
What is confusing me is the 2009 / 2015 rules

"were born outside Canada to a Canadian parent, were not already a Canadian citizen or you had lost your citizenship in the past, and you were born in the second or subsequent generation (this includes people who failed to retain citizenship)."

My mother has a Canadian birth certificate but i don't know if she was ever a Canadian citizen, or is she automatically one because of birth place?
Anyone born on Canadian soil (except children of certain diplomatic personnel) are Canadian from birth as are their children regardless of where born. As long as your mom didn't go through a formal renunciation process before you were born (probably not or you'd probably know about it), you are Canadian.

ic4l

Jan 31, 2017
links18 said:
Anyone born on Canadian soil (except children of certain diplomatic personnel) are Canadian from birth as are their children regardless of where born. As long as your mom didn't go through a formal renunciation process before you were born (probably not or you'd probably know about it), you are Canadian.
Thank you :).

I'm very happy to hear this.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ic4l said:
Thank you :).

I'm very happy to hear this.
I agree, you're a Canadian citizen. And, just so to be clear, the fact that your mother renounced her Canadian citizenship to U.S. authorities in connection with becoming a U.S. citizen doesn't matter.