+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about being a supported spouse and a student

inaina

Nov 3, 2009
Hi guys,

I've been living in Canada with my Canadian boyfriend for the last 8 months and planning to get married soon. Would love to avoid that for a while though and get married on our own time, but there's not much we can do about it, unfortunately. I was also thinking about applying for student's visa and becoming an international student and this way do something useful while my application is under process. Not much chance I'll be able to afford it, but it's worth trying, I guess :(
The question would be if I can get a student visa at all now that I've spent so much time in Canada. Will it not be obvious for immigration people that I met someone here and that's why I want to go to school now and that I will not go back to my country? If I was a student, could my husband (to-be) sponsor me as his spouse? And when I have my PR, could I start paying for school as a resident?
And the most important question is: my boyfriend wants to go back to school too. But obviously he must commit to support me financially for 3 years. Can he still do that? Would the fact that he's a student next fall affect my case in any way?
I don't expect you will know everything, but maybe at least you'll have some ideas. Thank you! That will be a great help.

Ina

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
inaina said:
Hi guys,

I've been living in Canada with my Canadian boyfriend for the last 8 months and planning to get married soon. Would love to avoid that for a while though and get married on our own time, but there's not much we can do about it, unfortunately. I was also thinking about applying for student's visa and becoming an international student and this way do something useful while my application is under process. Not much chance I'll be able to afford it, but it's worth trying, I guess :(
The question would be if I can get a student visa at all now that I've spent so much time in Canada. Will it not be obvious for immigration people that I met someone here and that's why I want to go to school now and that I will not go back to my country? If I was a student, could my husband (to-be) sponsor me as his spouse? And when I have my PR, could I start paying for school as a resident?
And the most important question is: my boyfriend wants to go back to school too. But obviously he must commit to support me financially for 3 years. Can he still do that? Would the fact that he's a student next fall affect my case in any way?
I don't expect you will know everything, but maybe at least you'll have some ideas. Thank you! That will be a great help.

Ina
Would you get a student visa or not? - I can't say.
Could you be sponsored as a spouse if you were here as a student? - Certainly, as long as you meet the requirements.
Could you pay tuition as a resident mid-term? - Ask your school.
Can your spouse sponsor you if he's a student? - Certainly, as long as he's not on social welfare or going through bankruptcy.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Most schools will assess your tuition based on your residency at the start of the term. I.e., if you land in the middle of the term, you will still have to pay non-resident tuition for that term, but will pay resident tuition for the next term.