+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about background/declaration form (IMM5669)

kenthething23

Star Member
Dec 21, 2016
Hi experts,

There's a question on the form: "had you ever had serious disease or physical or mental disorder", are they asking serious disease OR physical/mental disorder or serious disease OR serious physical/mental disorder?

I used to have generalized anxiety while in university and I took meds for it. Since I graduated from university, the symptoms of anxiety alleviated and I am weaning off the meds. Should I say "yes" to the question or no?

Thanks!

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
Hi experts,

There's a question on the form: "had you ever had serious disease or physical or mental disorder", are they asking serious disease OR physical/mental disorder or serious disease OR serious physical/mental disorder?

I used to have generalized anxiety while in university and I took meds for it. Since I graduated from university, the symptoms of anxiety alleviated and I am weaning off the meds. Should I say "yes" to the question or no?

Thanks!
In my opinion, I would say No.
A serious mental disorder would be something like schizophrenia or the like.
Just my opinion.

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
Basically what they look for is something that would impair or have impaired your ability to work or make judgement, more like a disability, and it is assessed on the basis of your intended occupation in Canada. This is so that they exclude people who might quit their jobs in the future and claim disability benefits. They also look for things that, although do not impair your ability to work, would cause an excessive burden on health services demands, and this is assessed on your intended province is Canada.

So to answer your question, it is serious disease OR physical OR mental. The serious adjective modifies the first part of the question only. Serious disease is a terminal illness leading to death or could lead to death if not on treatments/medications that reduces it to a chronic illness. Example would be cancer, heart problems, HIV, kidney failure ...etc. Physical is what impairs you, and this is only assessed on the context of your intended occupation. Mental is a mental illness, think of people who can’t make right judgment or have a learning difficulty or will require the assistance of others. Remember this don’t have to be you it could be one of your dependents like having a child with Down syndrome. What you described is psychological and concerns the state of mind, to which some people choose to seek help with but don’t necessarily have to. So I wouldn’t classify it as a mental illness but if you choose to declare it it will not harm your application.

Reactions: jordo

jgarcia

Dec 14, 2015
Good Morning.
Hi can you help on this Matter

We are in the process of sponsoring my parent. under the Backgound section it has a question "Had any serious disease or physicalor mental disorder".

My Mom was diagnosed with Breast Cancer last 2016. she undergo chemo,surgery,radiation therapy,. She is already okay now. she is currently cancer free and doing very good all her latest scans,blood test,ultra sound are all excellent.

the question if we will diclosed this on her application on the background section?

and will it affect her application that can lead to refusal?

is there anyone with the same case. but granted a permanent visa with their parents?

Thank you very much on your help and Best Regards

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
Yes it needs to be disclosed but unfortunately that will lead to rejection on grounds of medical inadmissibility. To resolve the inadmissibility one must show no recurrence for at least 5 years.

schoolkc

May 29, 2018
Yes it needs to be disclosed but unfortunately that will lead to rejection on grounds of medical inadmissibility. To resolve the inadmissibility one must show no recurrence for at least 5 years.
Hi, I would like to sponsor my parents and my brother as their dependent to immigrate to Canada, my Dad's current health condition is not quite good, and my brother has schizophrenia and has over 20 years history, but he has not had any dangerous behavior, hasn't caused any danger to public safety and property in his life, he has been in very minor daily medication which cost very less money, and in stable conditions for over about 10 years, he doesn't go out to work and depends on my parents financially, he stays at home with my parents, I am wondering my dad's and my brother's condition will result medical inadmissible?

or can my brother apply the temporary visitor visa to Canada?

Thanks a lot in advance!

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
Hi, I would like to sponsor my parents and my brother as their dependent to immigrate to Canada, my Dad's current health condition is not quite good, and my brother has schizophrenia and has over 20 years history, but he has not had any dangerous behavior, hasn't caused any danger to public safety and property in his life, he has been in very minor daily medication which cost very less money, and in stable conditions for over about 10 years, he doesn't go out to work and depends on my parents financially, he stays at home with my parents, I am wondering my dad's and my brother's condition will result medical inadmissible?

or can my brother apply the temporary visitor visa to Canada?

Thanks a lot in advance!
The rules on medical inadmissibility have changed.

So, your dad's condition is okay as long as you can show demand on medical services would not exceed CAD $20,000 per year on average . Your brother's condition is also okay as he's not being sponsored on an economic program, but the case officer may have concerns regarding public safety to which you can write what you have above and include doctor notes.

Regarding visitor visas there is no medical examination required and it is not part of the application process. You can apply for an eTA or a TRV for your brother and your father normally.

Reactions: schoolkc

schoolkc

May 29, 2018

So, your dad's condition is okay as long as you can show demand on medical services would not exceed CAD $20,000 per year on average . Your brother's condition is also okay as he's not being sponsored on an economic program, but the case officer may have concerns regarding public safety to which you can write what you have above and include doctor notes.

Regarding visitor visas there is no medical examination required and it is not part of the application process. You can apply for an eTA or a TRV for your brother and your father normally.
That is a quite cheerful news to know:), thank you very much for your reply and information!

schoolkc

May 29, 2018

My uncle really would like to visit Canada, is it possible he gets approved for temporary visitor visa? I guess temporary visitor visa is only for sponsoring direct family member, right? Thank you in advance!