+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about a letter received from IRCC

william-k

Apr 27, 2020
I'm on a PGWP and I applied for PR in June. I received my AoR and BIL, however, my PGWP (and my spouse's) expires in November, so I also applied for a BOWP. Today I got a letter with subject "WP-EXT only except PGWP" and the first paragraph says:

Please attach this letter to your present work permit Number ___________________ as proof that youare authorized to continue working with the same conditions (ie: employer and occupation) until __________________________ or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first. Thisextended period of work is authorized as per subsection 186(u) of the Immigration and RefugeeProtection Regulations. If you leave Canada before a decision is made on your application, youwill no longer be authorized to continue working.
So, two blanks where my WP number and a date should be. I'm guessing it's an automated letter meant to handle all WP except PGWP. My question is: could I have still applied for a BOWP, even though I've used up the three years of my PGWP? Does this change if I am employed?

Last edited:
Reactions: Enric6666

daf450

Star Member
Dec 9, 2019
I didn't understand what they are asking for
i submitted my online closed work permit extension.

i got the same letter and there is no date in the letter nor the number of my work permit, but i guess it is because an automatic response right?

Enric6666

Oct 31, 2020
Hi all,
I'm currently on a BOWP waiting for my PR application to be approved.
My BOWP expires in 2 months and I applied for an extension. I got the same automated letter with just 45 days extension. It mentions "until Xdate or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first". Does that mean that I have to stop working if I do not get an answer from the CIC before that date?
Thanks in advance

daf450

Star Member
Dec 9, 2019
Hi all,
I'm currently on a BOWP waiting for my PR application to be approved.
My BOWP expires in 2 months and I applied for an extension. I got the same automated letter with just 45 days extension. It mentions "until Xdate or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first". Does that mean that I have to stop working if I do not get an answer from the CIC before that date?
Thanks in advance
hi, for me i have no idea, in my case they did not specify any number of days or a specific date!

na71

Mar 27, 2018
Hi all, talked to a lwayer this morning. Ignore the date and keep working as I would be in implied status. Hopefully this helps if anyone panic like me.
Thanks for sharing that. Gives me some relief as I got the same letter today and was panicking. May I ask, is your current BOWP approved for 1 year? In my case, my BOWP got recently approved on Oct, 2020 until Feb,2021 (5 months) because thats when my passport expires. I have renewed my passport now and applied for an extension and got this same letter today extending the current permit's validity until March, 2021. Should I expect the extension for 1 year then or remaining 7 months?

Lbatallanos

Aug 7, 2019
Hi there, I hope you can help me.... my PGWP and Ohip expires in Jan 2021.... we already applied to the BOWP and the PR... I received the same letter with the two blanks.... but in order to renew the OHIP (my due date is in Feb 2021) they are asking me for a complete letter .... does anyone know how should I procede to get a complete letter? thanks!

gami

Feb 13, 2020
Hi all,

Someone can help me with this same letter?

I have a student visa valid until 2023 and I was nominated last week through the OINP: Job offer Foreign Worker Stream, and I applied to my WP on Saturday and yesterday December 2nd I applied through the web form, requesting that I could work while I I wait for my WP and they answered me exactly that:

Please attach this letter to your present work permit Number --- as proof that you are authorized to continue working with the same conditions (ie: employer and occupation) until March, 31 2020 or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first. This
extended period of work is authorized as per subsection 186 (u) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. If you leave Canada before a decision is made on your application, you will no longer be authorized to continue working.

My question is, can I start working at 40 hours or would the conditions be 20 hours a week just like my old WP?
Second question, can I continue studying until I receive my WP or should I stop the course immediately?

Can anyone tell me? I am trying to contact the IRCC, but without success.

Thank you :)

na71

Mar 27, 2018
Hi there, I hope you can help me.... my PGWP and Ohip expires in Jan 2021.... we already applied to the BOWP and the PR... I received the same letter with the two blanks.... but in order to renew the OHIP (my due date is in Feb 2021) they are asking me for a complete letter .... does anyone know how should I procede to get a complete letter? thanks!
I have not renewed my OHIP yet. I will do once I receive the renewed BOWP, hopefully. Ohip has extended expiry date until further notice due to covid, so you will still be able to use after expiry. However, for ohip renewal I believe just AOR letter is enough. Check the “For applicants for permanent residence” section: https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card#section-0

Ulkar025

Dec 12, 2020
Hi. Today I got the same document. Is it because of covid 19? My husband got work permit they sent but for me they sent extention number as above you told. Do you know the reason? Why did they send WP ext only except PGWP?

na71

Mar 27, 2018
Hi. Today I got the same document. Is it because of covid 19? My husband got work permit they sent but for me they sent extention number as above you told. Do you know the reason? Why did they send WP ext only except PGWP?
Maybe due to Covid-19 delays they are giving an extension since all processing is delayed. Did you also apply for extending your bridging work permit? When did you apply?

Ulkar025

Dec 12, 2020
Maybe due to Covid-19 delays they are giving an extension since all processing is delayed. Did you also apply for extending your bridging work permit? When did you apply?
No i am waiting my hearing. I am not a student.