+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question 4 eIMM 5669, Regarding criminal offence of family member of the PA

OrangeMapleIsHome

Star Member
Aug 7, 2019
Hi,

my wife is filling out form 5669, and question 4 asks "Have you, or, if you are the principal applicant, any of your family members listed in your application for permanent residence ever: been convicted of, or are currently charged with, on trial for, or party to a crime or offence, or subject to any criminal proceedings in any country?".

It also asks: "Have you, or, if you are the principal applicant, any of your family members listed in your application for permanent residence ever: been detained, incarcerated, or put in jail?".

My wife's biological mother has been convicted of a misdemeanor in the past, and because my wife was never legally adopted (she was raised by her grandmother), she has to have her biological mother listed on her form. Should my wife answer yes to these questions, and provide an explanation of the offence her mother committed? We are just confused as to why this is required when she hasn't been associated with her biological mother in years.

Thank you for any help in advance

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,

my wife is filling out form 5669, and question 4 asks "Have you, or, if you are the principal applicant, any of your family members listed in your application for permanent residence ever: been convicted of, or are currently charged with, on trial for, or party to a crime or offence, or subject to any criminal proceedings in any country?".

It also asks: "Have you, or, if you are the principal applicant, any of your family members listed in your application for permanent residence ever: been detained, incarcerated, or put in jail?".

My wife's biological mother has been convicted of a misdemeanor in the past, and because my wife was never legally adopted (she was raised by her grandmother), she has to have her biological mother listed on her form. Should my wife answer yes to these questions, and provide an explanation of the offence her mother committed? We are just confused as to why this is required when she hasn't been associated with her biological mother in years.

Thank you for any help in advance
The text says any of your family members listed in your application for permanent residence.

If the mother is not part of the application (clearly not), does not apply to her. Only applicants to become pr.

Reactions: OrangeMapleIsHome

OrangeMapleIsHome

Star Member
Aug 7, 2019
Okay, thank you for that. This is where we were getting confused with the literacy, because it says "listed in your application for permanent residence", we thought it meant anyone that the PA is listing *on* their application.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Okay, thank you for that. This is where we were getting confused with the literacy, because it says "listed in your application for permanent residence", we thought it meant anyone that the PA is listing *on* their application.
It is a bit confusing, as you complete more of the forms the logic will become more clear. (It's a good idea to check again VERY thoroughly later for this reason, in case you misunderstood something the first time through)

In this case - IMM0008 as main form covers principal applicant and dependents ONLY. If spousal application, the spouse is not entered on this form as an applicant for permanent residence (in that section).

Other family members (parents siblings etc) if not applying are mainly in the additional family information form or for identification. Easiest perhaps to think of 'immediate family' and 'extended family' although unfortunately the forms and packages don't make that very clear or use these terms. (Keep in mind the forms are used for other types of applications as well)

Check all carefully against instructions - including things you did based on tips from here, as third parties don't know your file details and can give advice based on misapprehension of your case. (Or just be wrong)

Only you can take full responsbility for your app.

Reactions: OrangeMapleIsHome