+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question 14 of Citizenship Application CIT0002

arsal385

Oct 13, 2012
Dear all,
I made a stupid mistake while filling the Q14 of the application form. The application form already received by CIC last week.

My spouse had an expire passport which didn't cover the 5 years eligibility period.

Q14 ) Have you held travel doc/ passport during your 5 years eligibility period?
YES, Complete the passport detail in table A below NO, Complete detail below in Table B

I put NO and just filled table B with the explanation why we didnt have passport to cover 5 years eligibility period.

Do you think I should have said YES and put passport detail in Table A first and then fill Table B with the explanation?

Although photocopy of the expired passport included in the application, however, due to leaving the table A blank. I have a feeling that CIC may return my package after 4/5 months due to incomplete application.
Please advise, what should I do?

visa_4all

Jul 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear all,
I made a stupid mistake while filling the Q14 of the application form. The application form already received by CIC last week.

My spouse had an expire passport which didn't cover the 5 years eligibility period.

Q14 ) Have you held travel doc/ passport during your 5 years eligibility period?
YES, Complete the passport detail in table A below NO, Complete detail below in Table B

I put NO and just filled table B with the explanation why we didnt have passport to cover 5 years eligibility period.

Do you think I should have said YES and put passport detail in Table A first and then fill Table B with the explanation?

Although photocopy of the expired passport included in the application, however, due to leaving the table A blank. I have a feeling that CIC may return my package after 4/5 months due to incomplete application.
Please advise, what should I do?
Don't worry. You are OK.

If u don't have passport your eligibility period. They how would you say YES.

AFAIK, there will be no problems.

Thanks

arsal385

Oct 13, 2012
Don't worry. You are OK.

If u don't have passport your eligibility period. They how would you say YES.

AFAIK, there will be no problems.

Thanks
Thanks for your response. I did have a passport during eligibility period but that didn't cover the entire period and was expired in Sept 2018.
I think I should have put YES and put passport detail in Table A and then put explanation in Table B.
But I skipped Table A and Put explanation in Table B.
I attached expired passport copy though which contains all the passport detailed but couldn't put that detail in the application.

arsal385

Oct 13, 2012
My query is due to above scenario, is my application will be returned due to incomplete application?

arsal385

Oct 13, 2012
Why didn't you renewed your PP.

No idea. Stay positive.

Thanks
I didnt renew it as I had no intention to travel abroad which I explained in Table B. However, I didnt put passport detail in table A of the question 14.
Is it going to be a reason of incomplete application and return from CIC?
Thanks

visa_4all

Jul 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I didnt renew it as I had no intention to travel abroad which I explained in Table B. However, I didnt put passport detail in table A of the question 14.
Is it going to be a reason of incomplete application and return from CIC?
Thanks
Not a major issue. I think.

trk1

Jul 15, 2014
Cheers mate
You said, "I did have a passport during eligibility period but that didn't cover the entire period and was expired in Sept 2018. "

In the explanation in Table B, did you refer the expiry details of the above passport? If yes, you should be good. If you have received AOR, my suggestion is to inform using the web-form the oversight.
In all probability it will be not an issue assuming you have explained in Table B the sept 2018 expiry. The web-form will provide the additional layer of comfort, so the officer will factor in the same.
In case, you have missed out completely, then it is all the more critical to send out the information via web form, sharing the exact info that was missed out in Table A to avoid any unfavourable deduction by the examining officer.

The above is my understanding...I am not an expert or qualified to advise and take it as just another view point.

Reactions: arsal385

arsal385

Oct 13, 2012
You said, "I did have a passport during eligibility period but that didn't cover the entire period and was expired in Sept 2018. "

In the explanation in Table B, did you refer the expiry details of the above passport? If yes, you should be good. If you have received AOR, my suggestion is to inform using the web-form the oversight.
In all probability it will be not an issue assuming you have explained in Table B the sept 2018 expiry. The web-form will provide the additional layer of comfort, so the officer will factor in the same.
In case, you have missed out completely, then it is all the more critical to send out the information via web form, sharing the exact info that was missed out in Table A to avoid any unfavourable deduction by the examining officer.

The above is my understanding...I am not an expert or qualified to advise and take it as just another view point.
Thanks for your valuable advise- much appreciated.
Below is the text I mentioned in the explanation box Table B
"Please be advised that copy of expired passport covering period up to Sept 2018 has been included.
However, there is a gap during the eligibility period from Sept 2018 until now. It is due to the fact that there is no passport renewal facility in Saskatoon and we had no intention to travel outside of Canada, therefore we were not keen to get the passport renewed."

Do you think above is sufficient for case officer to satisfy and not return the application as an incomplete section of table A?
They have a copy of expired passport anyway to see the missing info of table A.

trk1

Jul 15, 2014
Thanks for your valuable advise- much appreciated.
Below is the text I mentioned in the explanation box Table B
"Please be advised that copy of expired passport covering period up to Sept 2018 has been included.
However, there is a gap during the eligibility period from Sept 2018 until now. It is due to the fact that there is no passport renewal facility in Saskatoon and we had no intention to travel outside of Canada, therefore we were not keen to get the passport renewed."

Do you think above is sufficient for case officer to satisfy and not return the application as an incomplete section of table A?
They have a copy of expired passport anyway to see the missing info of table A.
I think you have provided the information, albeit the exact way they wanted.

Citizenship Applications are under Citizenship Act, so categorized as Administrative law. Because you have mentioned in Table B, I believe they will not reject based on the procedural fairness obligations.

If they have issued AOR, they will not return as incomplete, but may contact for clarifications. They will refer to the Program Officer / Citizenship Judge before a refusal any case once Application is on Record, who will follow the principle of Administrative Law, and that my understanding will be in your favour. But a web-form communication will only help your case I believe.

The IRCC policy, procedures and guidance used by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada staff reads,
"Administrative law ensures there is a legal basis for any action by a government representative, such as a citizenship judge. It sets standards that government officials must meet in making decisions about individuals."

Similarly,
"It is an administrative law principle that, in the absence of a legislative provision to the contrary, the decision-maker is head of the decision-making process. Depending on the nature of the decision, a fairly high degree of procedural fairness is required. A decision likely to affect the rights of an individual (for example, deportation), requires more procedural guarantees than a decision that does not affect an individual's status."

Reference:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/decisions/administrative-law.html

..I am not an expert or qualified to advise and take this as just another view point.

Last edited:

arsal385

Oct 13, 2012
Thanks I hope there will be no return of application after few months from now on the basis of above issue.