+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question 13 - Have you ever had immigration status

septimius

Star Member
Sep 12, 2013
This question in the new form is confusing the hell out of me. It says: "Have you ever had immigration or citizenship status in any country outside Canada, including your country of birth". Are we supposed to list every country for our whole life?! or is it just during the eligibility period?! The guide doesn't really help.

kushari

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
22-06-2012
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2014
LANDED..........
27/03/2014
Assume as it's exactly written. It doesn't say during the eligibility period. I put down my current nationality and that I've had it since birth. That's the only one for me. No other immigration status or citizenship.

Last edited:

capermanet

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
This question in the new form is confusing the hell out of me. It says: "Have you ever had immigration or citizenship status in any country outside Canada, including your country of birth". Are we supposed to list every country for our whole life?! or is it just during the eligibility period?! The guide doesn't really help.[/QUOTE
I think is Your eligibility period ,

zombiezombie

Star Member
Apr 25, 2014
It actually asks for Immigration & Citizenship status in any Country outside Canada. This means if you were a Citizen or Permanent Resident of any other country then you have to list it down. I am sure the list should not be many as most applicants are a citizen of their home country most of the time or probably a Green Card Holder in the US.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
It actually asks for Immigration & Citizenship status in any Country outside Canada. This means if you were a Citizen or Permanent Resident of any other country then you have to list it down. I am sure the list should not be many as most applicants are a citizen of their home country most of the time or probably a Green Card Holder in the US.
This is correct but not complete.

It is asking for ANY immigration status, including status as a student or temporary worker.

For most this is probably a short list, as short as listing country of birth and citizenship there. But for many this could indeed be a fairly lengthy list.

This item combines what were multiple items in the previous form. It seems confusing but that may be due to it being different from the earlier forms.

What is particularly odd about this item is that it has a "yes" or "no" check box, considering that it seems virtually if not actually impossible for a "no" response to be applicable to anyone applying for citizenship. That is, how could a person be a Canadian PR, which all applicants must be, without having lived in some other country with some sort of immigration or citizenship status?

kushari

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
22-06-2012
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2014
LANDED..........
27/03/2014
This is correct but not complete.

It is asking for ANY immigration status, including status as a student or temporary worker.

For most this is probably a short list, as short as listing country of birth and citizenship there. But for many this could indeed be a fairly lengthy list.

This item combines what were multiple items in the previous form. It seems confusing but that may be due to it being different from the earlier forms.

What is particularly odd about this item is that it has a "yes" or "no" check box, considering that it seems virtually if not actually impossible for a "no" response to be applicable to anyone applying for citizenship. That is, how could a person be a Canadian PR, which all applicants must be, without having lived in some other country with some sort of immigration or citizenship status?
No, this does not include temp or student. Those are not immigration statuses, those are temporary resident statuses. Don't confuse people. This means statuses like a Greencard, Citizen, etc.

Reactions: Tonimir

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
No, this does not include temp or student. Those are not immigration statuses, those are temporary resident statuses. Don't confuse people. This means statuses like a Greencard, Citizen, etc.
Try reading the actual instructions. In the "Status" column it states "e.g. student, employment/worker, refugee, permanent resident or citizen."

I make a diligent effort to help not confuse. In doing so, it is important to remember: If in doubt, read the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions.

kushari

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
22-06-2012
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2014
LANDED..........
27/03/2014
Try reading the actual instructions. In the "Status" column it states "e.g. student, employment/worker, refugee, permanent resident or citizen."

I make a diligent effort to help not confuse. In doing so, it is important to remember: If in doubt, read the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions.
You're right, my mistake!

atty111

Oct 11, 2017
hi there, i'm downloading the new application form and doc check list right from the website, but the footer still says "08-2017" - is that the latest form? I can't find the question that septimius is referring to.. thanks!

ceclmo777

Oct 24, 2013
so if I worked in another country for 2 years on a work permit some 7 years ago, should I mention that in the application?

ceclmo777

Oct 24, 2013
hi there, i'm downloading the new application form and doc check list right from the website, but the footer still says "08-2017" - is that the latest form? I can't find the question that septimius is referring to.. thanks!
it will say Oct 2017

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
so if I worked in another country for 2 years on a work permit some 7 years ago, should I mention that in the application?
That is what the current form instructs.

But there should be no rush. This form obviously has some issues. It is obvious that IRCC will have to address and at least clarify some things as the changes are fully rolled out (fully implemented).

Prudence insists on patience. Those who rush risk problems which could delay how long it takes to become a citizen. No point rushing just to incur delays.

ceclmo777

Oct 24, 2013
Question while using the physical presence calculator -
List time with Canadian temporary resident or protected person status

I was on a work permit for certain period between Oct 2012 and Sep 2013 but then during this time, I also filed for a work permit extension and waited for 3 months to receive it while I was still legally allowed to work in Canada. Should I mention this period while I was waiting for a new WP to be issued as a separate row in the calculator or just put one period against the type "Temporary Worker" right from Oct 2012 to Sep 2013?
Please advise.