+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question 13 current citizenship

Braile

Star Member
Feb 23, 2021
Hi all.

I applied for citizenship through a solicitor. In question 13 about past and present nationalities and residences our solicitor wrote our native nationalities start- date of birth, end- date of signing the application. When I told him that end dates should be left blank because we are still citizens of our birth country and expect to be them in future, he said that if he doesn't put the end date the application will not be validated, he did it many times and no issues, case officers will understand it correctly. So he sent our applications that way.

Now I'm a bit concerned because of that. Did anyone fill this graph in the same manner? Should I revoke and resubmit my application or send any explanation to the case officers?

Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Now I'm a bit concerned because of that. Did anyone fill this graph in the same manner? Should I revoke and resubmit my application or send any explanation to the case officers?
I think you should hire another lawyer and ask him to call the other one and they should have an eight hour discussion about this at $1500/hr charge to you.

This is a trivial matter and should be something you trust your lawyer for; if you don't, fire him and do it yourself.

Braile

Star Member
Feb 23, 2021
In other words you think it is not very important whether there is field of the end of citizenship is left blank or dated same day as the application os signed? No need to clarify in separate letter or return and rewrite the application?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
In other words you think it is not very important whether there is field of the end of citizenship is left blank or dated same day as the application os signed? No need to clarify in separate letter or return and rewrite the application?
I think it is probably not important, and if you are concerned, you should ask your lawyer.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
I would change my lawyer but for a different reason. I could not agree to put an arbitrary date for citizenship end in Q13 while still being able to travel on that citizenship till becoming a Canadian.

I was a paper applicant and mentioned 'CURRENT' in the last column for present citizenship. The header for the column clearly specified that at the time (2018).

Braile

Star Member
Feb 23, 2021
I would change my lawyer but for a different reason. I could not agree to put an arbitrary date for citizenship end in Q13 while still being able to travel on that citizenship till becoming a Canadian.

I was a paper applicant and mentioned 'CURRENT' in the last column for present citizenship. The header for the column clearly specified that at the time (2018).
I’m planning to keep my current citizenship even after gaining canadian
Do you think that sending explanation letter to ircc will solve this?
Or is it better to recall the application all together and apply again? Don’t want to start the process again tbh

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I’m planning to keep my current citizenship even after gaining canadian
Do you think that sending explanation letter to ircc will solve this?
Or is it better to recall the application all together and apply again? Don’t want to start the process again tbh
You are allowed to retain your other citizenship and there is no requirement to make an explanatoin about that whatsoever. There is literally no reason to explain anything.

And no, whether you completed the form with date of citizenship as at the day of submission is really not relevant either.

You are thinking yourself into circles for no reason. If you disagree, ask your lawyer. It would be entirely within rights of lawyer to charge you extra money to ask additional questions like this.