+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query Regarding working as an intern during Academic Break

snk1200

Sep 19, 2022
Hello everyone, I had a question regarding working as an intern during my academic break.
I'm currently enrolled in a 2-year pg-d program in which my 4th term is my co-op term. A year of my program has been completed, and I'm currently on my 4-month academic break where-in I can work full time. Recently I've been offered the role of an intern in a company. This role aligns with the program I'm studying right now and allows me to gain good experience for my career. My concern is regarding if I am legally allowed to do my course-related internships during my academic break (Since I already have an official co-op coming in my 4th term). I will be offering my study permit (which has the R-186 v) and my SIN number to the company. I won't be giving them my work permit since that is reserved for the official co-op term. My question right now is whether I'm legally permitted to do internships during academic breaks as long as I don't give them my work permit. I hope working as an intern right now won't affect my upcoming co-op in any way or cause issues when applying for my work permit once my official co-op ends.

Just to clarify, the role I'm offered right now is just an internship and not one that has co-op in the job title.

Thank You :)