+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query regarding PGWP; I am a part time student from Sep 2020 to Dec 2020(first term).

cee4815

Jan 16, 2020
What are you talking about? OP went part time in a semester that was not their last semester. That's all. OP does not qualify for PGWP by the book however there are times when VO makes exceptions
How your post-graduation work permit (PGWP) eligibility is affected
If you’re eligible for the post-graduation work permit program, you’ll still be able to get a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) if

• your in-person classes in Canada have been moved to an online-only format and you had to begin or will continue your classes online because of COVID-19, or
  • you had to put your studies on hold or study part-time during the winter, spring or summer 2020 semesters because of COVID-19
According to the second bullet point, it states that if you studied part-time during these terms, then you should still be eligable for a PGWP.

The argument was concerning how one should define winter semesters. I am arguing that my university does not have fall semesters in its calender, just winter semesters. OP needs to clarify with IRCC what does the winter semester entail.

I think to clarify with IRCC is better than to drop out of the university and pay for another course.

Bendu1575

Dec 21, 2020
What are you talking about? OP went part time in a semester that was not their last semester. That's all. OP does not qualify for PGWP by the book however there are times when VO makes exceptions
@tapperb

Could you please answer me this based on my scenario:
I am part time student (attended only one subject) for my first semester out of four semesters.

Please answer either A or B or C.

A) I am NOT eligible for PGWP at all.
B) I may get PGWP for less than 03 years or equal to the length of course I studied full time.
C) I may be granted PGWP for 03 years.

Please bear with me for posting the same question in another way. I left my job and waiting for many months for VISA and now got to know about this part-time rule.

Thanks in Advance.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
How your post-graduation work permit (PGWP) eligibility is affected
If you’re eligible for the post-graduation work permit program, you’ll still be able to get a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) if

• your in-person classes in Canada have been moved to an online-only format and you had to begin or will continue your classes online because of COVID-19, or
  • you had to put your studies on hold or study part-time during the winter, spring or summer 2020 semesters because of COVID-19
According to the second bullet point, it states that if you studied part-time during these terms, then you should still be eligable for a PGWP.

The argument was concerning how one should define winter semesters. I am arguing that my university does not have fall semesters in its calender, just winter semesters. OP needs to clarify with IRCC what does the winter semester entail.

I think to clarify with IRCC is better than to drop out of the university and pay for another course.
The second bullet point that you reference can consist of Jan 2020 - August 2020.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
@tapperb

I am part time student (attended only one subject) for my first semester out of four semesters.

B) I may get PGWP for less than 03 years or equal to the length of course I studied full time.

Please bear with me for posting the same question in another way. I left my job and waiting for many months for VISA and now got to know about this part-time rule.

Thanks in Advance.
Like I said before unless your part-time semester is in the time period mentioned above, then according to the IRCC guidelines, you are NOT eligible at all for PGWP because you were not a full-time student in all semesters but your last semester. That being said, VOs often have discretion over this but it is up to you if you want to risk this.

Bendu1575

Dec 21, 2020
Like I said before unless your part-time semester is in the time period mentioned above, then according to the IRCC guidelines, you are NOT eligible at all for PGWP because you were not a full-time student in all semesters but your last semester. That being said, VOs often have discretion over this but it is up to you if you want to risk this.
@tapperb @Ironclad

Hi,

I spoke to my university, they mentioned they have already sent data to IRCC after my fall semester. They ensured they will provide us a letter of explaination to support my PGWP application.
Will Visa Officer consider this letter of explaination from university and grant me PGWP?
I know no one can guarantee that on this forum, But are there chances of getting PGWP with valid explaination from University?

FYI, In fact university sent an email to hold more credits to attain Full-time status but I am new to course registration process and missed it. Many students are in the same boat in our University.

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pgwp-only-one-part-time-semester-will-i-get-rejected.654932/
Unfortunately, I got rejected. CIC officer said my single part-time semester was the problem.
There are pros and cons uploading the additional document about the reasons why you took a part-time semester.
Sometimes, they just skip reading the transcript if applicants do not upload the additional document.
Anyhow, I re-applied PGWP with the doctor's notes from my eye clinic and I re-wrote the additional document.
Personally, I strongly recommend you to work with any immigration agency. They will help you a lot if you pay around 300 dollars.
Good luck, and hope you get it.
This guy was rejected after doing 1 semester part time. It's up to you to make the decision, I would ask for a full refund as it seems the DLI is trying to damage control to get away with the full tuition.

Aliahli

Jan 3, 2021
So if someone was part time during the winter 2020 semester, they’re still eligible for pgwp?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
@tapperb

Thanks in Advance.
According to the rules you dont qualify for PGWP, however officers are allowed to make exceptions and they do all the time go to the PGWP thread you will see plenty of people get PGWP even with multiple part time semesters especially if you have any reasonable explanation, so apply and hope for the best no way to know for sure what will happen.