+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query regarding PGWP; I am a part time student from Sep 2020 to Dec 2020(first term).

Bendu1575

Dec 21, 2020
Hi all,

I am enrolled in 19 months Post Baccalaureate diploma course in an University from September 2020 intake..
For this course completion, I need to secure 48 credits in 4 terms.

Timeline:
Applied Visa in July and received AIP.
Biometrics and Medicals done waiting for PPR and hoping to travel in January.

My concern is from September 2020 to December 2020. University has only one subject (03 credits) as online. I attended and completed only one subject (03 credits) and my status in University portal says "Part-time student". I am now concerned about PGWP. University did not provide enough online courses to be a full time student and now I might be at risk of PGWP refusal.

Upon contacting International office they said University devised a plan on course completion to obtain maximum PGWP. As per the plan I should take more subjects in Summer break (May 2021 to August 2021), University if well aware that we are part time and ensuring we are doing everything to grant you maximum PGWP. This is a new course costing 40K CAD and not sure they are well versed with Immigration rules.

My Questions:
Is it possible to get 03 years of PGWP even though I am part time student for my first term by taking more subjects in summer break ?
OR
Should I simply stop my studies at this University and join some other university later(may 2021/Sep 2021) and be a full time student from the beginning?

Please advice, I need 03 years of PGWP to gain some exposure. I don't mind even if I loose some of my tuition fee at my present University.

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Online in combination with part time is not accepted for PGWP only the last semester should be part time.

Goes to show that 90% of the people studying online are not even aware that they are not eligible for PGWP, the credit distribution does matter irrespective of the course load being online or not.

dinesh_18x

Mar 5, 2020
Online in combination with part time is not accepted for PGWP only the last semester should be part time.

Goes to show that 90% of the people studying online are not even aware that they are not eligible for PGWP, the credit distribution does matter irrespective of the course load being online or not.
But as per IRCC we are still eligible for full PGWP even if we complete 50% of the course while staying out of Canada. Given that you're doing full time course load each semester.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/pgwp-eligibility-measures.html

Reactions: computerscience23

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
But as per IRCC we are still eligible for full PGWP even if we complete 50% of the course while staying out of Canada. Given that you're doing full time course load each semester.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/pgwp-eligibility-measures.html
At the end of the day the VO will issue the PGWP duration based on the marking provided on the transcript. If it's going to mention PT status for a semester other than the final one irrespective of being within the 50% limit it will not even be considered.

Taking only one subject per semester is not a normal thing at all and will surely take it's toll for future PGWP applications. By now the semester results would had been finalised, it's not possible to change the data by requesting the DLI at this point even if you are staying within Canada. Same thing happened to thesis guys earlier where none of them were eligible for a full PGWP after completion.

Last edited:

cee4815

Jan 16, 2020
This is from the Canadian governments site, and it states in the second bullet point that you are still eligible for a PGWP if during 2020 you had to take your studies par-time.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html

How your post-graduation work permit (PGWP) eligibility is affected
If you’re eligible for the post-graduation work permit program, you’ll still be able to get a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) if

• your in-person classes in Canada have been moved to an online-only format and you had to begin or will continue your classes online because of COVID-19, or
  • you had to put your studies on hold or study part-time during the winter, spring or summer 2020 semesters because of COVID-19

Bendu1575

Dec 21, 2020
This is from the Canadian governments site, and it states in the second bullet point that you are still eligible for a PGWP if during 2020 you had to take your studies par-time.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html

How your post-graduation work permit (PGWP) eligibility is affected
If you’re eligible for the post-graduation work permit program, you’ll still be able to get a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) if

• your in-person classes in Canada have been moved to an online-only format and you had to begin or will continue your classes online because of COVID-19, or
  • you had to put your studies on hold or study part-time during the winter, spring or summer 2020 semesters because of COVID-19
@cee4815

Thank you very much for the information provided.I have gone through this document and it clearly states "Part time during winter, spring and summer 2020 semester". I am attending online since September 2020, Considering September 2020 as FALL Intake. I do not fall into the above mentioned point.

cee4815

Jan 16, 2020
This thread is about the OP unfortunately regarding Fall 2020. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
I understand

My point is the OP should clarify with IRCC what do they mean by winter 2020, because some universities, like mine, don't have fall terms, they have winter terms instead.

Bendu1575

Dec 21, 2020
This thread is about the OP unfortunately regarding Fall 2020. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Ok what kind of Bad news. Like NO PGWP at all or PGWP less than 03 years(equal to length of full time I studied at University?
Could you please let me know?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I understand

My point is the OP should clarify with IRCC what do they mean by winter 2020, because some universities, like mine, don't have fall terms, they have winter terms instead.
What are you talking about? OP went part time in a semester that was not their last semester. That's all. OP does not qualify for PGWP by the book however there are times when VO makes exceptions

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Ok what kind of Bad news. Like NO PGWP at all or PGWP less than 03 years(equal to length of full time I studied at University?
Could you please let me know?
It depends on the VO and is basically a gamble, what I think is this will result in reduced PGWP in the future but according to the current information available having PT status for Fall 2020 does impact PGWP even if it's done involuntarily online through minimum credit distribution which may mark you PT with/without your knowledge.